Front Suspension is crapped :(

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Okay so i was in an accident last thursday where my clutch locked up while in gear and i wrecked my car i sideswipped a ladies car the steering wheel hit my chest and ripped off so the car cut all the way to the right and i ended up in the ladies yard :(. ANYWAYS! i got it towed and im trying to see how much damage is done. it looks like on the side that went into the yard the front wheel was pushed back waaaay further than it was supposed to go. The one bottom joint that has a boot on it that goes from the wheel under the car to the other side is ripped. also i think the brake line got busted cause there is fluid all over the bottom of the shock and on the brake line. The wheel is bent back pretty far. Any ideas on what might have to be replaced? and whats the name of that joint thats ripped?

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
your tie rods are done for sure (outter atleast). I would check the inner and also check the rack (I doubt your rack is harmed). Also, your upper and lower control arms may be damaged (including ball joints). Although the lower arms do look beefy, I have no idea what kind of forces hit your wheel. Check everything :).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would check for frame damage.

Is there fender and front end damage?

You might be better off parting that one out and getting another car.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
I will post pics later today. I thought there was frame damage at first but im not sure now. The hood closes fine. the top still fits fine. the only body damage is on the right front fender right where the side light is but it looks like i could prolly beat it back in. The car still starts and sounds fine and the engine bay looks undamaged.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
I dont want to part out this car i love this car and i want to fix it. the dent in the fenderis from me side swipping the ladies car. when i hit the curb my wheel was turned to the right so it got pulled back thats what fucked up my tie rods and the brake line. I dont think there was any frame damage. At worst the it will get labeled as totalled and ill just buy it back and fix it. i was only going 25ish mph

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Photobucket or go to advanced and click on the paper clip.

Have you taken the wheel off at all?

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Here is some pics from my phone. I really do not want to part this car i will fix it myself slowly if i have to.

Attachments

• 072000_1708[01]..jpg
    072000_1708[01]..jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 072000_1710[00]..jpg
    072000_1710[00]..jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 072000_1708[02]..jpg
    072000_1708[02]..jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 69

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
I dont think its too much damage im hopeing atleast. maybe just a tie rod but i know power steering is leaking from somewhere cause i can here my powersteering whine when i start the car.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Check to see if the frame has shifted and they may indicate damage, do this by looking at the bolts that hold it in place and look to see if it looks like the bolts are sitting in a different position then they were, you should see a mark where they were if they have shifted. If they didnt shift you probably didnt take any frame damage. Even if it got a little bent its not a big deal. But for a good rebuild I would go with-
Both outer tie rod ends,
replace steering rack,
upper and lower control arms with ball joints
sway bar end links
front struts, probably blew from the impact that is most likely where you fluid is coming from. Also they could be bent.
And possibly a new hub and brake hose.
Alignment is a must after the work.

If you can find a car thats being parted out you can probably get everything for $200-300 used. That is probably what I would want for all of that from my parts car. Too bad u live so far away. For $400 or so you should be able to get the entire front assembly including sub frame with all suspension attached and rack attached. Just hope you can do the work yourself because a shop is gonna cost you another $500+ to replace everything.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Its an 87 turbo manual trans. Im gonna replace the whole steering rack and my friend said that id prolly have to replace the steering column aswell since the steering wheel is ripped off. I will have to do all of the work myself. the power steering fluid is coming from the tie rod bellow thats completely ripped. i dont see any damage to the control arm but ill prolly replace that aswell. Im gonna need to get the parts soon so i can start this looong grueling rebuild. Live and learn i suppose.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
I was wondering im looking at ordering a rack offline and they sell two types a power assist one and a non power assist one. Which one is the one i should get? I dont care if i have actual power steering or not but i think its talkin about something power electronically? I dont know. And also do they make a none power steering rack for the mk3?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
No, all racks are power steering. Some racks were variable ratio, but I don't think it was available on the 87s.
Generally, steering systems are designed so that the tie-rods are the "fuses". You should never damage the rack.
I am very confused as to how you could have "ripped" the steering wheel off. The forces required to do this would have surely killed you - unless there was no retaining bolt on the steering wheel. Can we see some pics of this too?

If it was my car, I would replace any broken/bent steering components and see if it would take an alignment.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
If you took a hard impact you could have bent the control arms, the bend will not be visible. You will have to have an alignment done when you get the rack replaced so you will know something is wrong if you camber or caster are way off. You might be able to adjust it back in spec but if not you will need to replace them.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Wheel the stock steering wheel wasnt on it. it had another steering wheel put on buy the previous owner. When the car hit the steering hub somehow got ripped off the steering column. when you look at where my steering use to be all you see is a a metal rod with like teeth on it. My driver side wheel and suspension looks completely undamaged. My friend says he thinks the inside of my rack got fucked up and the wheel got bent so far back on the passenger side that it ripped the bellow and also took part in my steering wheel coming of seeing as my column connects directly to the rack. But do i but the rack that has power assist or the one without power assist? 87.5 turbo stick shift targa top.

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
What is causing my wheel to no longer fit in the wheelwell right? I took the well off to get it unstuck cause of the way it was tucked so far back. if i replace the control arm and the bushings and the sway bar link will it seat back where it was originally? I cant even put the wheel back on now. Any suggestions?
im replacing the rack i suppose and the steering column. as you can see in the pictures i have no way to attach my steering wheel back to this column.

Attachments

• 080300_1633[00]..jpg
    080300_1633[00]..jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 080300_1634[00]..jpg
    080300_1634[00]..jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 080300_1633[01]..jpg
    080300_1633[01]..jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 080300_1639[00]..jpg
    080300_1639[00]..jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 080300_1640[00]..jpg
    080300_1640[00]..jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 14

87turbotarga

Turbo freak!
May 10, 2010
Richmond
Im still trying to figure out if my car has electronic power assist rack or non power assist rack. I called toyota and they didnt even know.