Front main seal STUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
I'v been at this for about two hours and its really getting annoying.

I have everything off and scraped the rubber exposing the metal part of the seal, which comes off in chunks, and with a flat head wrapped in tape I twist the flathead pushing on the inside of the seal and it still doesn't want to budge! It just mashed the tape off and put a little gash on my crank. Is there any little tricks that I don't know off? The seal its self is rotted so at least I found my leak.

Will heating it up help any? I don't want to buy a torch for no reason.
Is there any kind of oil/grease that can help soften it up?

Someone with experience chime in please so I can get this done tonight.

Here's the evil seal
sm_photo_missing.jpg
:icon_evil

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
MDCmotorsports said:
Theres also a seal puller with a round weight welded on the side. You insert the hook into the seal, and then hammer on the weight - wala seal comes out.

I didnt even think to use the gear puller. I'm going to try with this
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I hope it works, I just have to remove the radiator. If it doesnt ill go for the seal puller, Thanks agian!

Yeah my carpets likes stains eeewww

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Well for who ever clicks on this in the future while searching, I used the gear puller and it came right out. I put the new seal in the freezer for a couple of hours and kept it in a cup of ice while driving to the storage unit my car is at. It slid right in with a little tapping to make it flush. YAY!

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Suprawannabe said:
Well for who ever clicks on this in the future while searching, I used the gear puller and it came right out. I put the new seal in the freezer for a couple of hours and kept it in a cup of ice while driving to the storage unit my car is at. It slid right in with a little tapping to make it flush. YAY!

Glad things worked out for you. what was the condition of the sealing surface of the crank?

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
bluepearl said:
Glad things worked out for you. what was the condition of the sealing surface of the crank?

It looked fine, there was only one scratch on the crank that barley feel and a little scratch behind the front carrier. Once I saw the scratch I stopped and came on here so I dont think and future problems will arise. [fingers crossed]

edit: actually you can see both scratches in the pis if you look close enough.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
johnathan1 said:
Why did you put the seal in the freezer?

When an object is cold it shrinks. He froze the seal for easy installation. You do this with bearings too.
-Steve

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
crrider80 said:
When an object is cold it shrinks. He froze the seal for easy installation. You do this with bearings too.
-Steve

Yup, and if it still didnt fit I would have put the carrier in the oven to get a little warm(not hot) too make it even easier.

frank

Jan 2, 2006
BC
Did all that oil come from the front main, or is the exhaust side cam seal leaking as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.