Front end noise when turning.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
So:

New wheels/tires went on the car a couple months ago, 225/45/17 on it at the moment. I noticed immediately after I put them on, a low speed (parking lot) groan from the steering when turning ANY angle but dead straight; which indicates nothing is rubbing since once it starts it remains exactly the same tone. I can also feel a mild vibration (high frequency) from the steering when it happens.

90% of the time I cannot feel this when driving above 10mph, very rarely I can feel it a tiny bit while cornering.

Is it possible that this small change in tire diameter has changed the alignment enough so that when turning its fighting itself for some reason?

Open to suggestions! Thanks!

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
mkIIIman089 said:
I can also feel a mild vibration (high frequency) from the steering when it happens.

where is the "steering." can you feel the vibration from your feet, or is it just at the steering wheel? if you turn at a constant radius, but increase or decrease speed, does the vibration change? or the frequency?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hmm, looks like a missed a word all together on that one. I meant to say steering wheel. It may be faintly noticeable at my feet but certainly not in the seat or anywhere else.

If it is changing (intensity or frequency) with speed, maintaining the same radius, it is a barely perceptible difference. The only time I notice it really change is when go goes away above 10 or so MPH, or when I'm rolling at something like 1 tire revolution every 5 seconds.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
i would put your stock wheels and tires on and see if it still does it. the hard part to figure out is that the vibration stops at higher speeds (over 10mph). hmmm. power steering fluid is clean and full? no leaks in the line? could there be anything stuck between the rotors and calipers?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yep, a week or so ago I drained and refilled the PS system, when I replaced a couple seeping lines. The screen in the reservoir was far from clogged and the fluid coming out looked clean and smelled fine.

It's made exactly the same groan before and after I did this.

I'll pull the wheels today and see if I can find anything.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
when i back out of places with my wheels turned pretty hard to the right, and sometimes to the left.. i hear a loud clunk sound. my wheels are pretty big. could be a rub, but it doesnt sound like rubbing. it sounds like something is trying to twist or rotate with no lubrication and then it finally gives.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
They have properly sized adapter rings. You do think that even this small of a change in overall diameter could put it off enough to cause this?

Unfortunately I didn't have any time yesterday to swap them out and give it a shot. This weekend the car will be out of commission for driving at any speed so I'll be able to check it then.

Nick M said:
Hmmm, new tires and wheels followed by a vibration and rubbing. I wonder what the problem could be...
As much as I appreciate this ill founded, jerkoff, useless comment; I fail to figure out where I said anything about how they were rubbing. In fact I distinctly remember saying that they were NOT rubbing, you pompous fucking piece of shit.

Last edited:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
CampbellsChunkySoupra said:
when i back out of places with my wheels turned pretty hard to the right, and sometimes to the left.. i hear a loud clunk sound. my wheels are pretty big. could be a rub, but it doesnt sound like rubbing. it sounds like something is trying to twist or rotate with no lubrication and then it finally gives.

mine does the same thing with stock wheels and tires.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
mkIIIman089 said:
As much as I appreciate this ill founded, jerkoff, useless comment; I fail to figure out where I said anything about how they were rubbing. In fact I distinctly remember saying that they were NOT rubbing, you pompous fucking piece of shit.

i'm glad i am on your good side.:biglaugh: i was thinking the same thing, only in not so many bad words.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
CampbellsChunkySoupra said:

it's the stops, the bolts usually had caps on them that get old and fall off, so it's then metal on metal and makes noise. you can try greasing that area and it should help...

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Poodles;615136 said:
it's the stops, the bolts usually had caps on them that get old and fall off, so it's then metal on metal and makes noise. you can try greasing that area and it should help...

My car is the same way. When you say "its the stops" what are you referring too??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The little balls that the hub hits to stop it from hitting the a arm.

Edit. That was a old thread bump lol.