Friend trying to get me to switch to a 300zx twin turbo

moverbaugh

Nov 20, 2009
San Diego, CA
IIRC, the only real issue with the VG30DE(TT) was poor oil flow to one of the back cylinders, but I'm pretty sure there's lots of ways to work around that. JDM twin turbo motors for it are quite a lot more expensive than 2JZ twin turbos, something close to $5000 for a Z32 front clip last I checked. No other Nissan vehicles got a RWD VG30DE, which probably accounts for that. Only other car I can recall that got the VG30DE was the Maxima, and Maximas with that engine seem to be pretty rare.

I would've probably bought a Z32, but I don't like 90s styling. Too many curves, not enough intersecting flat planes.

Dopamine

Aug 22, 2009
Cali

moverbaugh

Nov 20, 2009
San Diego, CA
drewsh666;1515864 said:
the d21 pickup also has a model with the VG30DE in it

All the Nissan pickups I can find data on have the SOHC VG30E (Or it's higher displacement sibling, VG33E), which is a completely unrelated engine (besides being a 3.0L V6). Oh, and I screwed up, the DOHC Maxima has a VH30DE, which is also completely different. On the other hand, reprogramming old Nissan ECUs is trivial (just need an EPROM burner), so wacky swaps are a little easier.

Other bonuses for the Z32 platform: Very good stock brakes (plus cheap upgrade to Skyline brakes), Rear seats are optional (no stock TTs have them, but NAs do), multi-link rear suspension that's probably the best ever designed (same as S13/S14 rears). Main downside is the high cost of TT cars (rare) and the about equally high cost of doing an NA->TT (At least $8k) conversion.