Friend trying to get me to switch to a 300zx twin turbo

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
That's true about the engine bay. Hell of tight sqeeze in there. I like the way the Z looks but my supra has really started to grow on me. Hard to even think about letting it go. Plus I just bought a body kit from shine and the car is getting painted as we speak.Should have it back on Thursday. It also has a 60-1 ct, spearco replica ic, map-ecu, 550, spec stage 3 clutch. 3in. exhaust. Needs tuned still though. Hoping to push 350+.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
3p141592654;1515172 said:
The Z32 was really the death knell for the MK3. Sales of the Supra got hammered after it came out in 1989.

From what I read, the release of that car is what sent Toyota back to the drawing board to produce the MKIV. Just as the MKIII was pwned by the Z32, the Z32 was destroyed by the MKIV.

Dopamine

Aug 22, 2009
Cali
Before I owned my supra, I owned a z32 and imo it's a nice car. The after-market support is good and the car is fairly cheap to upgrade. All one needs to get into the 400+ hp range is the upgraded ecu (i wish our cars had these), exhaust, intake, clutch, and a boost controller (15 psi). I liked how the z32 looks and handles, but my main problem with the car was working on it; there's like no room to work on the car. I guess it's a good car for someone who is experienced working on cars, but for someone like me, it wasn't an ideal platform. I had to always hope nothing would go wrong with it. However one day something did go wrong (bad piston rings), and my mechanic was going to charge me an arm to fix it. He would charge like 50% less to work on a supra.

So here's my opinions on the pros and cons of each car:

Z32 con:
tight engine bay
expensive to repair

Z32 pros:
Good after-market support
Looks nice
Handles well
easy power with just a few mods

Supra cons:
doesn't look as nice as the z32 (my opinion)
no cheap aftermarket ecu upgrade
I want to say that it doesn't handle as nice as the z32, but I'm not sure which car has more better handling potential.

Supra pros:
easy to work on since the engine bay isn't as crammed as the z32
cheap to repair
after-market parts are cheap

Overall, I would give the edge to the z32. I sold my z32 and purchased a Supra mainly because it's easier to work on and repair on it is cheap. Also please I'm not hating on the Supra, and I wouldn't have purchased a Supra if I didn't like it; these are just my opinions.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
leftynridge;1515158 said:
That's true about the engine bay. Hell of tight sqeeze in there. I like the way the Z looks but my supra has really started to grow on me. Hard to even think about letting it go. Plus I just bought a body kit from shine and the car is getting painted as we speak.Should have it back on Thursday. It also has a 60-1 ct, spearco replica ic, map-ecu, 550, spec stage 3 clutch. 3in. exhaust. Needs tuned still though. Hoping to push 350+.

I hope you not driving it in all this crazy snow, i drove mine last Friday and now its a salt biscuit. I want pics when you get it back.

z32 is a nice car don't get me wrong I love the looks but the v6 engines sux and a 2jz swap is just all wrong. Now with a RB26 you'd be talking about a good start.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
3p141592654;1515172 said:
The Z32 was really the death knell for the MK3. Sales of the Supra got hammered after it came out in 1989.

I have always felt that z32 sales were because they actually bought TV advertizing time.
Remember all those ken & barbie commercials.......
I have never seen a Supra TV spot on national TV, Zippo ! (at least here in Texas)
But those gay-ass z32 spots were on quite a bit.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
No not driving it in the snow. I haven't got it back yet. But when I do it will go into the garage. Its not my every day driver. It stays in the garage all year. I will post some pics as soon as it gets back from paint.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Love the Z32 commercials. The Ken and Barbie was good, but my favorite was the "I had a dream commercial". Supra commercials?? I looked on youtube a while back and could only find japanese ones!

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
Dopamine;1515240 said:
Before I owned my supra, I owned a z32 and imo it's a nice car. The after-market support is good and the car is fairly cheap to upgrade. All one needs to get into the 400+ hp range is the upgraded ecu (i wish our cars had these), exhaust, intake, clutch, and a boost controller (15 psi).

How is a clutch going to make more power? but I agree some ware around 400HP
but any ways the more i read about them the more I want one maybe a DD

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
staticpage;1515424 said:
How is a clutch going to make more power?

Stock clutch won't hold 400 - you can't get there without it, or at least you won't be able to prove it because your clutch will slip on the dyno.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
supra90turbo;1515124 said:
Buy one, and swap a 7m into it just to piss him off.

that or this

p1515583_1.jpg

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I asked how do the two motors compare to each other.Don't really see how thats a dumb question considering in my first post I said i've only had my 88 for 7-8 months (limited knowledge) and don't know to much about the 300zx motor. seems like a reasonable question to me.