Fresh rebuilding searching for idle need help

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Like the title says, my car is fresh out of a rebuild and after you turn it on, it just keeps searching for a spot to idle at, constantly surging, need help

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Well the obvious first question I'm gonna ask is do you have an codes? There's a few things that will do that. The first being the tps. You'll need to set it if you haven't already. The other cause, which was my case, is a bad connection from the harness to the isc. I actually had to change my entire harness, let's hope that's not the case for you.

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
Yes, check your tps as well as every other connector to make sure they are plugged in. Does it die when you hit the gas? If so, I would check your maf. Also check vacuum lines, a vacuum leak will make it idle funny.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
ok so i tried checking for codes, but nothing came up, all i got was two blinks then pause and two blinks and continue that pattern, and ive checked the connectors and nothing is disconnected
also my car is running really hot, i have no clue why either

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
MkiiiAllDay;2014767 said:
ok so i tried checking for codes, but nothing came up, all i got was two blinks then pause and two blinks and continue that pattern, and ive checked the connectors and nothing is disconnected
also my car is running really hot, i have no clue why either

SMH

Did you even read the code checking procedure?

Code 22...Water Temp Sensor Signal...and your running hot?...hmmm

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
From the wise words of Aaron at Driftmotion, he says i prolly have an intake leak, that's why I've got a surging idle, and what i mean by hot is that my temp gauge goes up and down near red and back to normal, this is after i got a new temp sensor, and new radiator and hardwired it to see what was going on

Last edited:

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
i checked all over, i sprayed starter fluid where the intake runners meet the head, where the intake mani meets the runners and at the egr, and also at the throttle body, would the throttle body gasket if it was cut a little bigger do anything like that?