Found something i REALLY didnt want to today

SnakePliskin

May 13, 2010
Anglesey, Wales
Today i thought i would familiarise myself with the Supra engine as its something i havent owned before. I thought i would take a few bits off to see the condition of inside etc, boost pipes, air filter, turbo heatshield etc. I then took the pipework off from the Maf to the Turbo, you know the one where the Stock DV is attached. I had a look at the Turbo blades and to my horror there were little chunks off of the end of the blades. I then continued to spin the blade by hand to which i found there was movement in the shaft blade. Is this the signs of a goosed turbo? She seems to hold boost well and feels very strong on pick up

Will get pictures for you over the next day or so

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
You know, a lot of people would see this as an opportunity to upgrade :) 60-1 from driftmotion would do you good I believe. I haven't run a CT for very long so checking with other members that have would be a good idea. That turbo you have there is on its way out :)

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
upgrading to a 60-1 T4 turbo is QUITE a task.. you may wanna wait until you've thoroughly familiarized yourself with the 7m engine bay before tearing into it and replacing generally everything in there.

as far as upgrading your CURRENT ct26 turbo to a 60 trim, its generally accepted as a bad idea. it cracks the turbo housing. driftmotion is a fair shop and they do good work, for relatively cheap. they have an excellent reputation around here. i actually sent my factory turbo to them because it had chipped blades. upgraded to a 57 trim, which is the largest suggested size for the ct26.

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
I once had a ct with "natural clipping" or chunks missing from the blade. Still came on just like normal and pulled to 8.5 and settled at 7.5ish. Odd thing it is.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
i agree.. my old turbo would still spool and boost fine, top the stock gauge out and hold, and i NEVER adjusted the wastegate.. but it looked like chop suey, and i was getting really concerned about the blades disintegrating or eventually shattering into my engine..

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i had a ct26 grenade its self, mine had excessive shaft play and clipped the compressor housing, made a death whine after that, removed the turbo and threw it in the bin!

I think you will want to pull the intercooler off and look for shards of turbo fin.. i found all 3 missing fins in a bit of pooled oil in the intercooler (at the bottom of the inlet side tank)

I'd be replacing the turbo as they're balanced and spin very fast, missing fins will unbalance it and eventually just lead to worse destruction and the possibility of more shards of metal being run through the motor.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
very good point! you will need to remove all your charge piping and the IC and blow it out with compressed air. ill bet if you pop a hose off right now, youll find tiny bits of metal chillin in there, waiting to hit your new turbo blades, or continue the vicious cycle of tearing up your current turbo.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
zambini;1569730 said:
very good point! you will need to remove all your charge piping and the IC and blow it out with compressed air. ill bet if you pop a hose off right now, youll find tiny bits of metal chillin in there, waiting to hit your new turbo blades, or continue the vicious cycle of tearing up your current turbo.

i used degreaser and compressed air and cleaned every bit of piping out.. i was lucky the oil caught the fins or they would have been run though my brand new motor