For all you NA tach users...

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Okay so 7mge tach will work fine with 1j the difference is just frequency. You have to hook up the black wire from igniter which is IG- on the diag box and same on the tach.

So go take your tach out and on the screw hole where ig- signal enters the tach look for the first resistor once it hits the board. Should be a 30Kohm. Cut it off leaving a little of the leads. Then solder a small piece of wire in where the resistor was. I've verified against an safc2 and also dynojet and it's dead on all the way to 8krpm.

Put tach together and go rock out!

:)

PS: this works with 2jz also.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
aphxero;1119290 said:
Okay so 7mge tach will work fine with 1j the difference is just frequency. You have to hook up the black wire from igniter which is IG- on the diag box and same on the tach.

So go take your tach out and on the screw hole where ig- signal enters the tach look for the first resistor once it hits the board. Should be a 30Kohm. Cut it off leaving a little of the leads. Then solder a small piece of wire in where the resistor was. I've verified against an safc2 and also dynojet and it's dead on all the way to 8krpm.

Put tach together and go rock out!

:)

PS: this works with 2jz also.

Really???
Hmm, well I already have the dakoda decoder thing from Dr. Tweak and tonight I realized that I am 10-11mph off and I dunno about RPM, I think it is fine as I idle around 550-650rpm.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
D34DC311;1119424 said:
Really???
Hmm, well I already have the dakoda decoder thing from Dr. Tweak and tonight I realized that I am 10-11mph off and I dunno about RPM, I think it is fine as I idle around 550-650rpm.

you have to set it so it knows you have 6 cylinders and not 8 or it will look like you redline at like 5krpm

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
tlo86;1120050 said:
you have to set it so it knows you have 6 cylinders and not 8 or it will look like you redline at like 5krpm

LOL yea i know I still haven't set it yet:biglaugh:

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Im soo down!!!
I have a 1JZ- N/A set up and i havnt had a tach for about 9 months!!!
Im hecka intimidated to take the stock tach out though...
Can any one coach me through it or send me into a write up or something???
I really am interested in this!!!

Thanks SM!!!

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
I did this and it works, there is a website about this. I will post a link when I get home. Or google 1jz tach fix and it shows up I think. Its a good article on all the tachs, na has 30k resistor 7mT has 130k I think and 1j has 100k.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
suspectsupra;1125203 said:
will this work with the 2jz swap....

I don't see why it won't since the 1jz and 2jz use the same igniter. How's the 2j man and when we're going to OSW? HAHAHA, yota beat me to it.

suspectsupra

Jun 13, 2005
homeless
OneJSupra;1168279 said:
I don't see why it won't since the 1jz and 2jz use the same igniter. How's the 2j man and when we're going to OSW? HAHAHA, yota beat me to it.

we should setup up something....my twins are starting to give out....single soon...

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
YotaRob;1121500 said:
I did this and it works, there is a website about this. I will post a link when I get home. Or google 1jz tach fix and it shows up I think. Its a good article on all the tachs, na has 30k resistor 7mT has 130k I think and 1j has 100k.

Shouldn't we solder a 100K resistor in instead of just shorting the leads then?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've checked mine against my dyno and my safc and it's right on. If you're a little off maybe you could use a 100k pot to tune it? It seems the other resistors and things don't have much of an effect on the readout (if any).

Try it out I'm sure it'll work out fine :) Even if some of us end up being 5-10 rpm off who cares. Tach isn't life and death right? I don't know about you guys but I don't look at it a whole lot. Funyy how it's super annoying when it doesn't work haha.

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
aphxero;1172825 said:
I've checked mine against my dyno and my safc and it's right on. If you're a little off maybe you could use a 100k pot to tune it? It seems the other resistors and things don't have much of an effect on the readout (if any).

Try it out I'm sure it'll work out fine :) Even if some of us end up being 5-10 rpm off who cares. Tach isn't life and death right? I don't know about you guys but I don't look at it a whole lot. Funyy how it's super annoying when it doesn't work haha.

Thanks for your help, will probably do this mod this weekend.

Last edited:

ronnie4

Nov 25, 2007
Huntsville
Which resistor on the picture below did you cut? R1?

Also where did you get the ign- from? Straight from the igniter?

Thanks

Attachments

• tachbits.jpg
    tachbits.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited: