Food Lion spring 2008 AutoFair...5 April...Charlotte.....

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The one and only Food Lion AutoFair at Lowe’s Motor Speedway is around the corner, once again, awaiting the triumphant arrival of all Supras. This year, the spring show takes place 3-6 April. Slipping in under the guise of “Mid-Atlantic Supras”, we will be displaying on Saturday only, 5 April. We have been allocated a total of 10 vehicle spaces. This show requires passes for entry and display. The pass are FREE FREE FREE and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you opt to sign-up and display your car I ask that you follow through with your promise and commit to arriving on the day of the show. In past AutoFair’s, we had been given 15 positions. However, due to low numbers and no-shows during the day of the AutoFair, we have been bumped to 10 spots.

The Food Lion AutoFair is the premier automotive show of the southeast, perhaps of the entire east coast. It is also one of the largest auto shows in the country. Spanning the entire infield and track on the inside and the majority of the outer perimeter of the speedway, there is sure to be something for everyone. This is not your everyday car show. No. This is an event and it’s all FREE FREE FREE to those who display in the car club portion of the AutoFair. Over 50 car clubs are on display, plus 1500 vehicles of all makes and models on the lot for sale, plus hundreds of vendors, plus an auction, plus unique and one-of-a-kind features, plus…..ah hell, it’s just a damn great time. All for FREE FREE FREE for those who sign-up to display their Supra during the event.

As mentioned, we will be displaying for one day, Saturday, 5 April. Show runs from 8am – 6pm. As in the past, many of us will meet beforehand and drive to the track together. All cars receive a commemorative dash plaque. Trophies are also supplied FOR FREE to all car clubs. Quantity of trophies is based on quantity of cars, one trophy per 5 cars PLUS one Best of Show. Trying something new this time around. The trophy categories are: “Best Original”, “Best Modified”, and “Best of Show”.

This is more than an informal gathering of guys hangin’ for a couple of hours and shootin’ the shit. This is a bi-annual, major event produced by Food Lion and highly anticipated in the automotive field. Even so, the cars on display do not need to be trailer queens or summer day cruisers. Everyone is welcome; daily drivers with normal wear ‘n tear roadrash, something in the works, whatever. All are welcome…..and it’s FREE FREE FREE for those who display in a car club.

Watch this post for more details and also search for posts of past Food Lion AutoFairs. If you are interested and want to participate in the show, please replay with a post, PM or email to: scottham “at” softplay “dot” com. Please provide the following info: Name and screen name, model and year of Supra. All models are invited, be the first to display a MKI.

Attendees:
1. Scott H. – Marblehead – ’83 P-Type or ’93 TT hardtop
2. John A. - Pooods - '81 MKI: The first MKI to show at the AutoFair!!
3. Tonney N. - Supracerxtreme - '93TT
4. Chris B. - KwikAg - '98TT
5. Mike G. - Olsupraguy - '84 P-Type
6. Nathan N. - gnarkill87 (from supramania) - '88
7. Jody C. -SuprasMaximus - '93
8. Michael D. - mikesupra87 - '86.5
9. Richard - mavrick666999 - '85 P-Type
10. Wes - weswork - '98 HKS Twins

Tentative:
Greg L. - SupraGreg - '93 NA-T
Evan - pred (from supramania) - '91 -- Needs front bumper
Kyle C. - Dachande - '89T

Don't stop at the top.
Scott

Last edited:

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
More show info posted on the speedway site. Sign up today! This is one not to be missed.

Lowe's Motor Speedway's Food Lion AutoFair is the world's largest automotive extravaganza! The four-day event will include a car show featuring various makes and models from more than 50 clubs; more than 10,000 vendor spaces that offer a plethora of automotive parts and memorabilia; and a collector car auction conducted by Tom Mack. A car corral, which completely circles the 1.5-mile superspeedway, featuring nearly 1,500 vehicles of all makes and models that are available for sale or trade.

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/sc...fair%5Fspring/

My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.
Scott

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Quick update:
I attended the usual car club AutoFair meeting last Thursday. Received the standard info, passes and maps. Mid-Atlantic Supras is located INSIDE the track for the spring AutoFair! First time we have been placed inside for Saturday. Our location is the grassy area between pit road and the main speedway, near the entrance of pit road. An EXCELLENT location so we should have lots of traffic. I’ll post a map once I have a moment to scan and upload.

Please sign up to attend. This is the meet so many wanted; a few months into the year and nice weather. The Food Lion AutoFair is the largest car show in the country. No lack of things to do or attractive sights to see. I always have lots of free swag to boot; some serious stuff, some just for fun. It’s all FREE!

CHEERS!!
Scott

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Gotcha. Hope you can make it.

Attendee list updated.

I have the passes in hand and will send out in the next week or two. If I do not have address please send them via a pm or email to: scottham "at" softplay "dot" com

Last edited:

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Attendee list updated.

Below is an unsolicted write-up from a previous, and current, attendee of several AutoFair gatherings.

The rest of you fence sitters can climb on down now. If you have never been, you really can not appreciate what you're missing. And, by showing your car, you get up to two free passes to get in. The Autofair truthly caters to the classic detroit iron and hot rod/roadster crowd mostly, but it's still a blast. The Spring show is so big you can walk your butt off and not see all the neat cars and automotive goodies for sale, but only a small portion is geared toward imports. The parts and accesorry vendors fill up the LOWES Motorspeedway infield and spill over into the two back parking lots behind the back straight away. Lots of different car clubs are there. Several Corvette Clubs, Corvair Club, F body Club, (Camaro/Firebird) Mustang club/ General old Ford clubs, PT cruiser Club with a lot of radical customs, Nissan Z car Club, mini Cooper Club, MOPAR Club, East Coast Cruiser Hot Rod Club, even the Opel GT clubs of NC and TN show up at some shows, as well as the Yellow Mustang Registry, (and more). You can eat cheap at the food vendor wagons or you can go up to the club level overlooking the entire raceway and enjoy a fabulous buffet.

The vendors run the Gamut form the big boys like Jeg's, Honest Charlies, Eastwoods, Griotts Garage, Meguirs, Mothers etc all the way down to some guy selling used junkyard muscle car parts on a blanket in one of the infield parking spaces. Lots of tools, automotive trinkets, accessories, car covers, custom or old license plates and other types of vendors. One of the two garage buildings usually has the "highlight of show" super custom and historical car displays and the other has serious automotive tool, part and service vendors.

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Attendee list updated and map attached.

Location inside the speedway! Lots of exposure.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
gnarkill87;955511 said:
go ahead and put me on the list as going! she'll be done by april. oh and btw we can bring someone and they get in free too right?

Excellent! Yes, each attendee receives one car pass to enter the display location and two people passes. All FREE! Please PM me your address so I can send the passes.

CHEERS!!
Scott

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Attendee list updated.

We have currently reached our allotted space. I am going to request an addtional 2 passes though there is not a guarantee I can get more. Going to try.

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
THIS IS A LONG ONE BUT FULL OF ESSENTIAL INFORMATION:

The AutoFair is a week away, Saturday 5 April, and we’ve matched our space limits. Way to go guys! It’s great to have a full house. The passes to all current attendees have been sent. Watch for them in the next few days. I have requested a couple additional passes so those of you on the “tentative” list keep an eye on this post as space may become available. Along with the passes I have included a copy of two maps to assist anyone not familiar with the area and some general show reminders from the AutoFair organizers. I have also included my contact info, call me if you need any assistance.

DISPLAY INFO:
This years spring AutoFair is looking to be a great one! Lots of special cars have been announced in the last few days/week. These “special guest” cars are on display inside the NASCAR garages and/or around the outer perimeter of the garages. All the cars located on and around the track are for sale, so bring your checkbook. You just might find that $250,000 Super Bird you’ve been looking to buy. The majority of the car clubs have been moved to the interior of the speedway. This is new. In the past they had been divided to either the interior around the pits or on the outer areas of the speedway. There are still some clubs on display on the upper mezzanine under the bleachers. Mid-Atlantic Supras has been provided with a location inside, on the grass between the track and pit road. See a previous post for the map depicting location.
The AutoFair goes on whether rain or shine. If the infield is soaked from previous rain or if it’s raining on Saturday all clubs normally located on the grass will be moved to new locations. At this time we do not know those locations. Hopefully we won’t need them anyway.

MEETING INFO:
The AutoFair opens to the general public at 8am. The event organizers have always asked that vehicles on display with the car clubs arrive prior to that time to avoid any unnecessary traffic; vehicle and foot. As we have done in the past we will meet at Concord Mills Mall in front of the AMC Movie Theater side. Please meet in the LOWER, main parking lot, not the small, upper lot as I had indicated in prior years. We will meet at the mall around 7am and leave for the speedway NO later than 7:30am. Meeting at the mall beforehand is not mandatory. You are free to just arrive at the speedway on your own. You will still be permitted to enter the show if you’re running later than 8am. You will have to navigate through a lot more traffic so PLEASE be cautious. The crowds become thick.
The event organizers do travel the show and count the cars on display with the car clubs. Their counts begin early so please arrive on time. Counts take place throughout the day. If there is a great discrepancy between the space allotted and the number of cars on display it will affect future invites to the show or the amount of passes we’re given. If you have signed up and committed to attending I ask that you please do so. Everyone seems to enjoy their time at the AutoFair meets and I would hate for our invite to be revoked for any reasons.

AWARDS INFO:
We have been allotted 3 trophies for our club. The organizers designate the first one, “Best of Show”. The other trophies can be named by the car club. This year I have chosen “Best Original” and “Best Modified”. This keeps the cars as one unit where no one generation is viewed as better than the others…..hopefully. I am keeping the judging internal for this show. We’ll see how that goes. Past shows I have always asked neighboring car clubs to judge our cars. Due to the trophy designations I feel it would be in the best interest of our club to keep the judging done by those who are familiar with the cars and the blood, sweat and tears that are put into them, either in upkeep or in building. I have not designed the final judging criteria but it will be kept simple. I would like to do the judging early, around 9:30am. This allows enough time to park, do some minor clean-up and detailing (don’t forget the duster, pollen is heavy this time of year), rip through the judging and have the remainder of the day to enjoy the monstrosity of the AutoFair. Always the case, NO ONE goes home empty handed! All display cars receive a slick Food Lion AutoFair dash plague. All Supra attendees will also receive a bevy of great door prizes. Some are fitting, some are usable, some are just downright silly and fun! All in good humor.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
We are located on a wide open grassy area with nowhere to duck for shade. If you have a pop up tent contraption please feel free to bring it. Be certain that it can be securely anchored to the ground to prevent blowing and damage if it happens to be a windy day. You are permitted to bring coolers, not permitted to bring grills. Bring all the food you want or there is plenty offered for sale at vendors and concession stands around the track. Beer is permitted but please be conscious of your surroundings and the fact that you will be driving home. If it’s a hot day bring LOTS of water. I have not seen any reminders regarding pets but do keep in mind that there will be thousands of people and thousands of cars at this event.

THINGS TO BRING:
Chair(s), comfortable shoes for lots of walking around the show, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, light jacket if cool in the morning, cooler, water, food, detailing supplies, a good time.
I think that covers most questions that have been asked and useful information. If you have additional questions regarding something I did not cover here or in previous posts please contact me either via pm or email: scottham “at” softplay “dot” com. Keep an eye on this post as I include additional info.

WEBSITE INFO:
Below are a few websites with lots of information regarding the show, its theme and vehicles that will be in attendance. Look through all the press releases, lots of great info and pictures of the awesome cars expected to be at the AutoFair.

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/schedules/car_shows/food_lion_autofair_spring/

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/news_photos/press_releases/528812.html

Press Releases:
http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/news_photos/press_releases/

God looks over children and fools and I’m the latter.
Scott

Marblehead

Unchained
Mar 2, 2006
Charlotte, NC
ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION!!!

Gentlemen,

Due to situations waaay beyond anyone’s control, our display location for the Saturday AutoFair has been relocated. The organizers do not want any cars parked on the grassy areas due to the rain or rain soaked ground. Therefore we, and all other clubs originally located on the grass, have been moved to the upper mezzanine area (under the grand stands) of the speedway. Those of you who have attended past AutoFair shows will be familiar with this area. Those who are new I have attached a map to assist in locating our revised placement.

Below is the email and information I received regarding the rain display relocation:

***ATTEN: CAR CLUB REPS & Assistant CAR CLUB REPS for:

Buick Club of America, Carolina Chapter of AMO, Carolina F-Body, Carolina Galaxies, Carolina Opel, Carolina PT Cruisers, Carolina Shelby Dodge, Carolinas Region Porsche, Charlotte F-Body, Euros at the Fair, Ford Owners Association, Generations Corvette, GM Muscle, Horsepower Junkies, Metrolina Corvettes, Mid-Atlantic Olds, Mid-Atlantic Supras, National DeSoto, Piedmont Performance, Plymouth Owners, Triad F-Body.

Speedway Officials have called for the following on BOTH SATURDAY & SUNDAY to avoid having ANY vehicles parking in the damp grassy area:

Enter Speedway at the Main Entrance off HWY 29 facing the SMITH Tower.
Turn right onto Perimeter Rd.
Proceed to Gate 7 on Left, SIGN that STATES "ALL CONCOURSE CARS ENTER HERE"
Proceed up the ramp, go past the FORD Grandstands, then past the SMITH TOWER.

Choose a spot for your Car Club anywhere past the Tower. Allow enough room for your club & others. This concourse is long and there is plenty of room for everyone to park.

DO NOT BLOCK the DRIVE THRU. Please keep the Drive Thru area clear & wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass comfortably.

Anyone needing any add'l info, please contact my cell at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thanking you in advance for your patience & assistance.
Rodney Oliver,
CAR CLUB DISPLAY COORDINATOR***

RAIN MAP:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Those interested, we will still meet at Concord Mills Mall beforehand at 7am. I may have to leave a little earlier than the 7:30 scheduled time. An attendee did not receive his passes therefore I need to arrive at the track to make the necessary arrangements for his admission into the speedway. I can then find a location for us in the revised area.

I can be reached on my cell phone at any time. The number was included in previous information and with the passes. If you do not have my number please send me an email so I can get it to you, don't want it displayed for the world out here. scottham "at" softplay "dot" com.

Oh man, car shows are supposed to be relaxing!
Scott