FMIC Smog legal in CA???

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I was going to change out my FMIC on my 95TT Supra (Yes, that's right an MKIV, flame me:wuteva: ) and put in the stock side mount for getting the car smogged. I was wondering if I just leave the aftermarket FMIC in if I will fail the test. Keep in mind, I am in Nazifornia. Anyone smog experts out there? I would have posted on SF but you can't even say the smog word over there....

Last edited:

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I don't have an issue with my cartech - i've had it on there for 2 smog cycles - as well as my 3" exhaust (elbow back) and single cat set-up. I can't imagine on what grounds they could fail it beyond not being OE or it not being a qualified OE replacement (read CARB). My vote, don't worry about it.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
do pretest then do smog if it fails he will let you know and why.. try to goto a buisy shop and in a rich area where the have a lot of decent cars like you or get a friends address at blyth where there is no smog in ca there is a couple holes that dont require smog in ca.

By the way SF sucks!! they are ban nazis

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Personally, I don't see what is so difficult about smog in CA. yes, the standards are tougher in the 'high impact' areas (parts of the bay area where they do the roller test). Pretest isn't a bad idea - but as long as the car looks clean, is clean out the tail pipe, i doubt that anyone will make a big deal over an IC. BOV venting to Atmosphere, maybe (depends on the shop, I would guess most would fail), but a 'radiator' - which is all an IC is? I really doubt it...

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
FMIC and hard pipes are smog legal as long as your car is a factory turbo. The weirdest thing I have heard is that those silicone vaccum hoses are not legal. A regular shop may not get you for that but I was friends with the state referee here and he told me that.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
HellsLegion said:
I know a few people on SF that have racked up tickets FOR having a FMIC.

Too bad we cant ask there or get banned,

I've been cited for my legal exhaust(tested under 95db) as well... Just because the cop writes you up for it doesn't mean you are in the wrong. for speeding or whatever you have on your car.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
JustAnotherVictim said:
Wasn't it supposed to be harder to pass because the bigger IC cools the air flow and makes it harder to burn all he exhaust gases? I forget where I heard that though.

idk how much of a difference it's going to make on the rollers though. No airflow going through the IC. I doubt the Ic would be a reason you would fail the test. If what you say is true and it put you over the allowable limits, there's probably something else on the car that should be looked at that's contributing more.

Interested in your source though if you find it. I've never heard that one.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I don't think a FMIC would make the car fail the emissions part...

It may, however fail the visual...in Nazifornia, basically, if they see anything that looks aftermarket, FAIL! Even if it doesn't actually affect the pollutants emitted from the exhaust. Those smog tech guys are idiots. (Well, at least the ones I've dealt with.)

I would just go have a pre-test done and see what they say.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
My smog info might be a little rusty though. I smogged my 7M for the last time in '04. I passed at the state ref with a 3in catback and DP. I've been 7M free zone since '05 so you'd probably know more than me if you know what I'm saying.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Well from what I recall reading, I may be incorrect, but since you want the cat hot when you go in to take the test having the IC cool the air makes it a bit harder to pass. I don't think it was supposed to make it fail maiserably or anything but the hotter, as opposed to cooler, exhaust gases were it's supposed to make it easier to pass.

It could be all bad info it's just what I remember seeing.