Flywheel bolts, FPIG or Loctite

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
Hey guys,

I'm installing my clutch and I'm re-installing the flywheel bolts. I can see that leaking is a possibility from the bolts.

Should I use FPIG or Loctite?

Thanks,

Matt-

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
You don't want those bolts backing out for any reason, use Loctite. I've never had an issue with leaking. I would recommend against reusing flywheel bolts for the same reasons.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
loctite w/ arp here

i wouldnt reuse old bolts personally

whatever you do be sure to clean all threads first :):)

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
If there's leakage, replace the rear crank seal and pilot bearing.

The bolts aren't really an issue, neither will using loctite or FIPG.

Mr dude

Apr 10, 2007
Rijssen
www.ricotuning.nl
Use loctite 545, I use it a lot at my work...

Loctite 545 Thread Sealant Hydraulic/Pneumatic Sealant, numbers 54505 and 54531. 545 is a liquid sealant for locking and sealing high pressure, fluid power systems with tapered fittings. Contains no fillers and will not foul valves or fluid filtering systems.

Mr dude

Apr 10, 2007
Rijssen
www.ricotuning.nl
RacerXJ220;1135519 said:
If there's leakage, replace the rear crank seal and pilot bearing.

The bolts aren't really an issue, neither will using loctite or FIPG.

How would you seal the bolts then? If you don't use any kind of sealing, oil wil deff. leak into your bellhousing/clutch. Btw the original bolts have a tread sealing on them, if you buy them at an toyota dealer.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
the green you see on the oem bolts is a form of loctight, not a sealer.
the holes are blind not open, meaning there is a bottom to them.

and unless some one really F-ed up durning machine work and drilled a hole were they didn;'t neeed one at all, just make sure the Rear-main is squar to the crank, "even". and that the oil pan is also sealed good.

also the rear oil gallery bolt may give you some issues if not tight enough of doesn't pipe thread tape on it.

i have re-used my flywheel bolts with no problem, so long as people fallow proper torque specs there is no issue, if you do not have faith in the last owner, purchase new one's.

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
So final verdict? The holes on the flywheel are open.

I reviewed the MK4 TSRM and it didn't mention the use of FIPG or Loctite. Although I'd feel better if I used one or the other, but which.

Umm...

Thanks,

Matt-

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
improved;1135586 said:
So final verdict? The holes on the flywheel are open.

I reviewed the MK4 TSRM and it didn't mention the use of FIPG or Loctite. Although I'd feel better if I used one or the other, but which.

Umm...

Thanks,

Matt-

thats because they are TTY bolts and stretch. sealing it.

you cant reuse these bolts though.. you cant stretch a bolt twice. thats why some opt for the ARP... which in turn you'll need the loctite as ( i think ) is recommended by instructions.. you need some type of sealant though thats for sure.. i think ARP recommends loctite though... (since they do not stretch kind of thing..)

Last edited:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i reused the originals, with the threads cleaned and torqued to spec. hope itll be ok

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
when you say originals was it the 7m bolts? they should be different than the JZ and might be ok to reuse (im still iffy about it but i argue they are cheap enough to replace now and i didnt have a manual 7m or jz when i put my r154 on :))