flushing crankcase

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
ok so in the recent thread "Best automotive related thread fail?" someone posted a case where someone tried flushing their crank case with water by draining all the oil filling the engine with water.....

i found this very funny so when i was at my "farmer/vietnam vet" friends house i told him about it ..... his reply was "he should have used diesel!!!:aigo:"
then proceded to tell me that he has flushed all of his engins every other oil change by

1: draining half the oil out of the engine and topping it off to the fill line with diesel
2: starting the engine and letting it idle for ~5-10 seconds
3: draining this mixture and refilling engine with diesel to fill line
4: repeating step 2
5: draining diesel, replacing fuel filter and refilling with proper oil
:nono:
i have watched him do this before to his vw bug while i was working on his tractor but i didnt realize what he was doing at the time...
all his engins run great and inside the engine(what i can see through the fill cap) lookes super clean:confused:

not that i would ever do this to one of my vehicles:runaway: but i found it very interesting have any of you guys heard of anyone doing this before???
to me it doesnt sound like a great idea but his vehicles/tractors seem to be unfazed....

wanna get your guys opinions

could there be any danger / benifit to this

he has a bunch of tractors, a vw bug, a vw jetta,a chevy gas pickup, and a chevy diesel dually

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Not too far fetched. A lot of "old heads" I know use kerosene to do that on their iron block V8's.
Also if you look at the ingredients of today's motor flush treatments ... they all sum up to be kerosene or diesel ...

Sent from my LG-P504

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Mar 30, 2010
Queens, New York
yea it would work but i would fill with motor oil run it for a seconds or so and then drain and then fill it with fresh motor oil once or twice just to be on the safe side... cause the diesel and/or kerosene will thin your oil and if there's enough fuel mixed in with your lube oil you WILL have a crank case explostion. i know that for a fact im a Marine Engineer our Engines (ship diesel engines) come with explosion door on the crank case so the block doesnt blow up... but the engines in cars dont have them so crank case aka engine block dont like things exploding outside of the combustion camber.

505turboman

Jul 14, 2009
Albuequerque, NM
Wouldn't kerosene or diesel eat up a paper filter like your average oil filter? This is all new to me that's crazy to think diesel can clean your engine lol. I wonder if it would still be cheaper to buy the flush additive instead of buying diesel with these gas prices nowa days

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Mar 30, 2010
Queens, New York
no it wont eat up the filters but it will contaminate it. you wanna change it out each time you flush with fresh oil so if you do 2 clean motor oil flushes you want a new filter on there each time, and you wouldnt need that much diesel 1-2 quarts is more than enough, but i wouldnt clean my motor that way. at most i would just use a little marvel mystery every one in a while. but all that could be avoided if you just change you oil every 2500 - 3000 miles... the fresher you oil the less sluge that could build up.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I've flushed several engines with kerosene, all I've ever done is add a litre to the existing oil and let it idle for an hour or so. Cleaned up more than a few glazed bores/stuck rings this way.