flushing coolant

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i noticed the car has been using coolant at a ridiculous rate.. i filled it to about the top the around 3 days ago, and today that damned light came back on.. i checked inside and the coolant bottle is filthy, looks like theres oil in there or something. i checked the TSRM and it doesn't say much on how to clean it except to flush it and re-fill it. but i'm pretty sure that won't do it, can i use water to clean it out? or would that be bad news.. any advice would be appreciated, thanks

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
To clean the overflow bottle, remove it from the car, fill it 1/2 way with hot tap water, and a hand full of nuts and small screws, and bolts. Cover the open holes with your hands, and shake it all up for a few minutes. Repeat as needed.:biglaugh:

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
+_+, i can't afford a bhg... ahhh is there anything i can do to prevent further damage? or is the only solution the mighty 7MGTE swap..? i wish i could just do that but my family is in horrible debt as it is, this is gonna be a bad christmas :\

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
thechori said:
+_+, i can't afford a bhg... ahhh is there anything i can do to prevent further damage? or is the only solution the mighty 7MGTE swap..? i wish i could just do that but my family is in horrible debt as it is, this is gonna be a bad christmas :\

No Christmass is sposed to be bad!!! If money is a concern GTE is not even an option. Your talking about ecu, harness, exhaust, ic ect ect. Sounds like you never got the engine hot right???? How about just changing the Head Gasket??? On a NA its easy to do and if you have questions you have us. No need for a bad christmass!!! Mabey ask santa for some gaskets and a little rtv. Now chear up and go tear into your car!!! :icon_bigg

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
7M BHG usually starts like this.....

Most of the 7M BHG, AS A FIRST SIGN, do not send coolant into the engine oil, or out on the ground.

Most of the 7M BHG blow at the #6 cylinder to a water passage. Combustion gasses are forced into the coolant when the fuel lights off (most combustion chamber pressure).

This extra pressure builds up in the cooling system, which then releases the pressure past the radiator cap, and into the overflow bottle. (1st signs of BHG)

If you keep driving it like this, the leak will get bigger, and THEN will allow coolant to enter into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke. That's when you will start to see (white smoke) and smell coolant out the tailpipe, and allows coolant to get into the oil, which gives the milky look.

Just seeing a milky look under the oil cap could be a sign that your PCV system is not working, which keeps moisture out of the crankcase.

Last edited:

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
johnathan1 said:
Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust? And is the coolant itself contaminated with oil? What about the oil, how does it look? (check under oil cap)
no smoke comes from the exhaust, but the coolant did look like it had oil or something else in it. i haven't checked the oil yet, but what should i look for?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
thechori said:
no smoke comes from the exhaust, but the coolant did look like it had oil or something else in it. i haven't checked the oil yet, but what should i look for?

Usually you'll see one of two things. Either the oil will look muddy, not just dark and transparent... It may also be alot thicker than it should be (BHG milkshake, real fun to clean out). Or you'll find after it's already seperated in which case it's more than obvious.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
hmm when i got home today (took the freeway), i smelled a strong burning kinda smell coming from my engine bay, i didn't have time to check it out cuz i had alot of hw. what can cause the car to smell like that?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
That really depends on the smell. If too much pressure is leaking into the crankcase it can blow out the dipstick and throw oil over the exhaust manifold...

We need to know more specifically what it smelled like.