Flowmaster exhaust

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
Recently I went to a local exhaust shop looking to fab up a custom exhaust for my 87 NA AT. I went with the managers recommendation (my first mistake!) and they ran 2.5” pipe from the cat flange back to a glasspack, then back to a Flowmaster 40 delta 3” in 2x2.5” out muffler #430402. They expanded the 2.5” pipe at the muffler to fit the 3” inlet. Outside the car it is pretty loud with a kickass tone, but on the inside it booms/drones hard from 1400-2800 rpms. Nice for a weekend/track car, but a bit much for a daily driver.

p1000175_1.jpg

I am thinking of moving to a Flowmaster 50 delta 2.5 in/out with a single tip. The 50 series is supposed to be quieter but I was wondering if anybody has been down this road before and has any advice before I start throwing more parts and my wallet at it.

Thanks!

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
AFQC;1000175 said:
Recently I went to a local exhaust shop looking to fab up a custom exhaust for my 87 NA AT. I went with the managers recommendation (my first mistake!) and they ran 2.5” pipe from the cat flange back to a glasspack, then back to a Flowmaster 40 delta 3” in 2x2.5” out muffler #430402. They expanded the 2.5” pipe at the muffler to fit the 3” inlet. Outside the car it is pretty loud with a kickass tone, but on the inside it booms/drones hard from 1400-2800 rpms. Nice for a weekend/track car, but a bit much for a daily driver.

I am thinking of moving to a Flowmaster 50 delta 2.5 in/out with a single tip. The 50 series is supposed to be quieter but I was wondering if anybody has been down this road before and has any advice before I start throwing more parts and my wallet at it.

Thanks!

Run any two decent sized mufflers and the car will be quiet. For now I have a 2.25 inch exhaust with a high flow catalytic converter, and two 14 inch magnaflow mufflers (one in middle, one at back) and this thing is silent. No droning, and not really loud at all, even at WOT High RPM. I'm running stock exhaust manifold/collector.

While a 2.5 inch exhaust would be louder, two decent sized mufflers would make the car sound nice, not be too loud, and have no droning. IMO resonators don't really do squat for the car's loudness, and I've had past experiences with it (even if they are 18 inch resonators).

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Sorry guys. I like mine loud. I can hit the gas or let off and drown out the wife.
Stock exhaust manifold and pipe into a 16 inch glass pack with a dual tip.

The car sounds mean. Inside and out.

I'm seaking, as close to a plug and play header as I can get going into a Borlas xs pro street muffler. I don't want anything larger than 2.5 pipe anyways.

I'm just an N/A.

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
To clarify, I started out with just a 2.5 pipe between the cat and muffler and it was just silly loud. Put the glasspack in and I’d say it knocked the overall volume and interior resonance down about 1/5th from what it was. I love the tone, just looking to get another 2/5ths down (if that makes any sense) I guess I am asking what kind of reduction I might get from switching from the 40 delta to the 50 delta.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I bought mine from CRE. He's a stand up guy.

I have no ideas about flowmasters from the 40 to the 50.

But..., it sounds like a little too quiet might be better for you than.
It could be just a bit more quiet.

I think MA70 said it best for you.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have a flowmaster 50 in my jeep(inline 6) and it sounds nice. You can certainly hear it inside when you get on the gas but the muffler is right behind the front passenger seat. It sounds nice outside and has that flowmaster sound to it still. Its actually kinda quiet, I regret not going with the 40 series.

Ive been considering going flowmaster 40 on my supra too, I dont mind the loudness ha.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 50 series in the past was a 3 chamber as opposed to a 2 chamber. The baffles quiet it down.

The HKS sport exhaust for the 7MGE is a baffled muffler also.

KongGMC

Shady tree mechanic
Nov 26, 2007
Crestview, Fl
I would have never thought people put Flowmasters on Supras. Anyone have a sound clip of they're car with the Flowmaster system installed?

Imagination6788

Oct 6, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The years of living in Chicago before we moved to Atlanta finally caught up with the mine, well also when they decided to repave Peachtree, again, it might have hit the exhaust, and now I have a a bunch of quarter size holes in the front exhaust pipe. So I have a cat back exhaust from flowmaster, I forget what model, but nothing comes out of it. So right now I'm basically driving with nothing besides a down pipe, Anything over say 1400 rpm is to loud to talk with the windows down, with them up you can make it up to 2200. It's kinda fun when I down shift to pass someone on the interstate my passenger can't talk to me anymore.

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
KongGMC;1000634 said:
I would have never thought people put Flowmasters on Supras. Anyone have a sound clip of they're car with the Flowmaster system installed?

I’ll try to get a clip up tomorrow :)

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
Hmm...can't get text after video. Anyways heres a typical Friday afternoon on Columbia blvd with the windows down……no place to wrap it out :icon_frow. I took a few different videos but this one is the only one that really had any discernible sound.

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
I finally got the sound out of my exhaust that I was looking for. I ended up ditching the Flowmaster 40 and glasspack leaving me with the following:

Factory pipes to the cat
New cat (napa oem drop in)
2.5 pipe from the cat to muffler
Magnaflow 2.5 in/out w/stainless tip recycled from the Flowmaster

Loud enough to know it is there outside, no booming or droning inside…..perfect!
It is pretty clear that the engine is breathing better above 3K.

p1005505_1.jpg

p1005505_2.jpg

I'm going to have to take some solvent to the black paint that they put on it. Shiny mufflers are good for about +5hp right? :biglaugh: