Flaming Rivers Mustang 5.0 Manual Steering Rack Problem

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Hi all,

So I figured out what has been an issue with my steering rack for a while. The whole rack moves when steering if the vehicle is not in motion. To me its actually quite shocking how much it moves, I have had my suspensions of this for some time but the last time it was checked (thousands of miles ago) my friend said it wasn't moving... After getting some help today to turn the wheel I could see what was the issue. I have linked a video, its easier than trying to explain. So, for now I'm thinking about ways to stop the movement and wanted to get some outside ideas from yall.

Thanks!

[video=youtube_share;5_I_21a7tCg]http://youtu.be/5_I_21a7tCg[/video]

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Yea, I was just thinking about that. A little tab on the housing to the drivers and passenger side rack mounts. Gonna see if I cant fab some cardboard templates of something useful.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
I dont know if this has come to mind and if it would even effect anything but before you go tacking things up I would see if there is a shop that would let you put it up for an alignment using the laser stuff they have now. So that way you can properly get it set up before you go making things permanent. I know that you can make adjustments and stuff but was thinking that this may help out a bit just in case things are farther off than you think. Wouldnt want you to be replacing front tires every couple thousand miles due to bad weld job.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the replies, I actually just recently fixed this. (Pics soon) I made a brace that bolts to the subframe and is positioned between the two sides of the rack. It works great. The steering is very percise again, I had plans on going back to a power steering setup, but the feedback it gives I dont know if that will happen.

MachinaMacabre

Jan 5, 2014
Sequim, WA
every write up i have ever read talks about cutting the mustang mounts, but seeing yours would one simply be able to just drill bolt holes and use the mounts as is or is it an issue of angle?