Fixing a broken coolant temp wire connection..

ProfessorHaddock

Mar 25, 2014
Seattle
Hey guys,

I've been having some extremely inconsistent readings on my temp gauge, and when I went to take off the connector that plugs into the coolant temperature sending unit on the thermostat it broke off of its wire.

I was wondering, what's the best way to go about splicing a new connector on the end of the broken wire? Can I use the existing one? (Please see attached image.)

coolTempSensor.jpg

1James

Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Hey,

Welcome to SM from another Lurker. You can most certainly reuse the connector housing, but there is so little wire left on the terminal that it would be a sketchy fix to reuse that.

the cheapest and easiest way to do it would be to crimp on an appropriately sized female quick disconnect terminal on the wire and call it a day after some heat shrink.
263.Jpg

The correct way to do it is to remove the terminal from the connector housing, find the replacement, crimp onto wire, reinsert into housing and reinstall. It may be possible to get lucky and find the correct terminal from another source, but Toyota also sells "repair wire" that has a pre-crimped terminal that you would splice onto your wire and reinsert into the connector housing.

Starting with the EWD in the combination meter section, http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=136, we learn that connector "M" is what you are looking for, and it has the connector diagram in a few pages: http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=139.

This link is the Toyota Wire Harness Repair document. This outlines the correct way to replace connectors/terminals, and has diagrams of every single connector housing and terminal used from 93-05. Comparing the M connector from the TEWD to the "<FEMALE> 1P Non–waterproof Type" table on page D-26, we can determine the part number for the connector housing to be: 90980-10703. Section E of this document offers a reference table listing terminal types and part numbers for each type of connector housing. Finding the housing on page E-20, we can see the terminal type is 6.3, it is female, and unsealed. It also has the part number for the repair wire listed, either 160mm or 500mm. You would only need the 160mm one, and its part number is 82998-12060.

Another great source for these terminals can be found here: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html, but I do not think they have the 6.3 and they ship from Japan so it takes quite a while.

Anyone reading this should now be able to source OEM Toyota connector housings and determine the appropriate terminal type.

ProfessorHaddock

Mar 25, 2014
Seattle
Hey James,

Thank you for such an extraordinarily detailed post, it's much appreciated.

I checked out the link containing part number 90980-10703, but 90980&#8211;10786 looks closer to me, but I can't find pictures to tell for sure.

A couple of questions:

Am I correct in assuming I'll be able to find a comparable terminal at any auto shop, or do I specifically need the 6.3? Is this a situation where I could find something that's "close enough"?

As for part 82998-12060, would it be okay to simply trim back the wire casing and crimp a new terminal onto it?

Have you been able to find a place that specializes in Toyota plastic housings? I haven't been able to find much.

Last edited:

1James

Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Bay Area, CA
You know what, I was looking at an EWD from a '90, so they may have changed connectors. I agree that 786 is a closer fit. Either way, it is also a 6.3 and has the repair wire part number of 82998-12070, I would expect these two repair parts to be very similar. But this point is now moot since the connector housing is busted. At least now you know how to replace any other connector in the car :) 82998-120(6/7)0 a wire pre-crimped onto a terminal, so you would strip your exposed wire and solder with heat shrink, or crimp a butt-connector to join the wires..

You are correct with your assumption. Anything that physically fits on to the sensor and conducts electricity will do the job. You will be able to find a crimp on terminal from an auto store or even a hardware store. Here are a few better pictures of the terminal that you should use:
4FRE5_AS01.JPG
4733181.jpg
prx528064c.jpg

To use these you should cut away a very small length of wire to get rid of any damage, strip it, and crimp on the connector.

1James

Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Bay Area, CA
ProfessorHaddock;1998313 said:
Have you been able to find a place that specializes in Toyota plastic housings? I haven't been able to find much.

You will have to get them from a dealer, I have not find any real stores or online auto stores that stock them either. I like to use Titus-Will in Seattle because of their extremely fast shipping and convenient online store (not advertising, just personal preference): https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat.html

As a bonus, they are local to you!

But I would really just go with the quick disconnect/spade connector.