First supra

D.Ho

Jan 20, 2010
Elk Grove
Hey everyone. Just bought my first supra a couple weeks ago and so far it's already a money pit! It's a 1989 turbo with 149,523 miles on it. I have s few parts that I've bought: rebuilt stock trim turbo (price was too good to pass up), BIC DDP, lexus afm, new starter, plugs and wires.
A couple days it started misfiring and I isolated it to cylinder #5. It was an enjoyable car until now so until I fix this issue I'm gonna be stressed out as this is my daily driver. Doing a compression test tonight. Wish me luck.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
lol mines turned into a money pit after a month of buying it :/, and i still havent gotten it back yet ><. Good Luck tho

MINA

Jan 19, 2010
sacramento
when you do the lexus AFM you need injectors 550cc and and a fuel pump and tune from what i under stand.....and good luck also welcome to supra mania get ready to go broke and dedicate your time to the supra as i have found out

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
congrats on the first one and yes even though its a money pit its well worth it. im going on almost 7 grand and still going lol

D.Ho

Jan 20, 2010
Elk Grove
89nasupra;1504962 said:
welcome to SM. also they are 20 plus year old sports cars....maintance is a must with these cars before any upgrades.

Yes I totally agree, the turbo was the only thing I spent money on. The other stuff I got along with the car and right now they are just sitting in the garage waiting for the day the car is running correctly.
I didn't even get to do the compression test! Starter decided to go out, put in a re manufactured starter and it's also bad! I can hear it actuating but the motor is not turning over at all. Push starting a 2 ton car by myself is not fun. Yes, I've already had to do it.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
D.Ho;1504854 said:
Hey everyone. Just bought my first supra a couple weeks ago and so far it's already a money pit! It's a 1989 turbo with 149,523 miles on it. I have s few parts that I've bought: rebuilt stock trim turbo (price was too good to pass up), BIC DDP, lexus afm, new starter, plugs and wires.
A couple days it started misfiring and I isolated it to cylinder #5. It was an enjoyable car until now so until I fix this issue I'm gonna be stressed out as this is my daily driver. Doing a compression test tonight. Wish me luck.

Sounds like a good mod list to start with!

Best of luck sorting out the issue with #5

suprachick22;1504940 said:
congrats on the first one and yes even though its a money pit its well worth it. im going on almost 7 grand and still going lol

Wait till you triple that figure and still aren't done ;)

89nasupra;1504962 said:
welcome to SM. also they are 20 plus year old sports cars....maintance is a must with these cars before any upgrades.

This. Maintenance before mods.

D.Ho;1505234 said:
Yes I totally agree, the turbo was the only thing I spent money on. The other stuff I got along with the car and right now they are just sitting in the garage waiting for the day the car is running correctly.
I didn't even get to do the compression test! Starter decided to go out, put in a re manufactured starter and it's also bad! I can hear it actuating but the motor is not turning over at all. Push starting a 2 ton car by myself is not fun. Yes, I've already had to do it.

Damn dude :( There is a thread on here with how to fix the starter yourself for a few dollars' worth of parts... Have a search :)

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
MINA;1504868 said:
when you do the lexus AFM you need injectors 550cc and and a fuel pump and tune from what i under stand.....and good luck also welcome to supra mania get ready to go broke and dedicate your time to the supra as i have found out

actually the trick is that the lex afm is 25% bigger than stock. 550s are 25% bigger than stock. you put both on at the same time and it will run without a "tune". you will more than likely need a new fuel pump though. the lex afm upgrade can be done on stock injectors and a tune..