FIL's JZA70 Upgrades

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
Another update: re-calibrated the Innovate LC-1 last night (I'd lost my cable and the sensor had lost it's calibration, so was guessing a bit with the tune...) - turns out I was very close with the idle mix, just a little rich, and over the rest was mostly rich, about 11:1 - 13:1.. So have made a few tweaks to the map and will see how it goes now...

in other news, i took it out for a run with the SupraWA guys on Sunday, and it's started blowing a little smoke, there's any number of reasons this could be, but the lack of smoke on startup suggests to me that it's not valve stem seals... i thought maybe the turbo oil feed restrictor may have gotten misplaced, but it's still there.. however, the oil level is a little high, so perhaps it was just burning that off... or it could be that the oil i used is a little thin for the temps it was running at (coolant temp got up to at least 90 deg C on that run, usually sits around 88-89 degrees - yeah, it's sfa difference, but might be the difference between a 40w oil being thick enough and being too thin)

and the power steering system has a little leak i need to trace and fix... but it's still working... :)

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
Guess I should update this... the JZA70 has been off the road most of the time since the last post... Since then I've also been to the US again, proposed to the girlfriend (now wife), had a little girl, gotten married.. brought the Cadillac back to Australia and a few other things..

The Supra had a clutch failure (the push pull adaptor and the slave cylinder pushrod didn't get along as well as they should have...), which has now been fixed, but when that failed, an internal rattle developed... The cars sat in the carport since then, as I'd assumed that whatever it was, I wouldn't have the budget to fix once I found it... Anyway, I recently decided to fire it up again and have a little look... I noticed while it was running, that the water pump pulley was loose (I musn't have gotten it tight enough when I put everything back together in 2009... I've now tightened the pulley up and it's running true, but I'm wondering if the bearings in the water pump are damaged, and that may be the source of the noise...

(Thinking aloud, I guess I should have pulled the drive belt off today, as that would have eliminated any water pump noise)

I guess I'll try that next time I get a chance to fire the car up, which will probably be Monday arvo....

MA70AEROTOP

Sep 24, 2008
Perth
So fil the question is will she make it to innaloo this arvo...Tighten that pulley and see how she runs? what does it sound like? with engine knock if say you hold the revs at 2k does it sound like a diesil landcruiser

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
As I mentioned above, I've already tightened it up, and the pulley runs true now, but the noise is still there... I reckon I've done some damage to the pump... but haven't had any spare time since Saturday arvo to look at it... If I get home early enough from work tonight, I'll pop the belt off and see what happens...

If it is the water pump, it won't be a quick fix either, as a new one will then need to have threads drilled and tapped in it for the turbo coolant feed and return...