FIL's JZA70 Upgrades

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
I just realised I never started one of these threads, my plan for this thread is to keep it updated with both the progress of my car, and any new photos I may take from time to time :)

The vehicle is a '91 JZA70 Limited, spec BJMZZ, which means manual gearbox, aerotop and limited. Here's a photo:

20070818_IMG_9189.jpg

Old news: (Roughly in order)
  • Swapped to early JZA80 front brakes
  • Rebuilt OS Giken with 5 puck solid centre plates faced with carbotic(?) material
  • Swapped to ex-Ray Hall 2JZ-GTE turbos
  • Fitted Alpine deck
  • Fitted Apexi S-AFC2
  • Swapped to Tein HA suspension all round
  • Fitted Blaupunkt subs, Aerpro sub box and Blaupunkt amp
  • Tidied up turbo swap with almost comical large blue silicone hoses and the mothers of all T bolt clamps
  • Hopefully replaced the diff for the last time, went to an alleged TRD 2way this time, should last a little longer than the Torsens that have gone before it
  • Fitted Stinger 4424 ECU
  • Fitted Innovate Motorsports LC1 wide band O2 sensor

Last edited:

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie

In more recent news, one of the turbos has failed, after spending a bit of time swearing at the car and trying to remember how it all came apart, I've managed to get deep enough into the turbos to see that the exhaust wheel on the rear turbo is missing.

I've since ordered a single turbo manifold from Monsta Performance (eBay special) and a Garrett GT4088R from GCG Turbo's in Sydney.

When I started looking for a new turbo, I emailed about 5 of Australia's better known Garrett suppliers, and GCG answered my questions at 7am the next day (9am their time because I'm on the west coast) and had the best prices on any turbo I was chasing. Of the other options, they either didn't respond, didn't have stock, or were at least $500 more expensive than GCG.

Last edited:

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie

I'm currently sourcing the rest of the "off the shelf" components for the install, and figuring out who I'm going to get to do the bits I can't do myself.

I was planning on either fabricating or getting one of the local exhaust shops to fabricate a dump pipe and going to purchase a good quality copy of one of the big name wastegates, but after checking out DriftMotion this morning, I've just placed an order with Aaron for a dump pipe and wastegate, which will cost me just under A$500 shipped.

Last edited:

white_def

7MGT35R
Nov 16, 2006
Wisconsin
i love this pic. very cool!

FIL;1133878 said:

I'm currently sourcing the rest of the "off the shelf" components for the install, and figuring out who I'm going to get to do the bits I can't do myself.

I was planning on either fabricating or getting one of the local exhaust shops to fabricate a dump pipe and going to purchase a good quality copy of one of the big name wastegates, but after checking out DriftMotion this morning, I've just placed an order with Aaron for a dump pipe and wastegate, which will cost me just under A$500 shipped.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
sirgeorgee;1133952 said:
Nice car...

Good luck with the build

Limited edition - what extra stuff came on it?

Limited's didn't seem to come with anything that wasn't available elsewhere in the JZA70 range, they just had a lot of the boxes ticked from the factory...

Most were auto (mine wasn't), (I think) they were all targa tops (could be wrong there, might only be mostly targa's). They had the digital dash, leather and suede seats, with an electric drivers seat and came with ABS and cruise control....

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
NgoFcukingWay;1135149 said:
that's a nice looking jza70. Was it hard to install the JZA80 brake calipers up front?

It was a bit of a challenge... Mainly because I didn't realise just how much I needed to change along the way, so I ended up doing the job twice...

I ended up using some JZA80 stub axles and lower arms as well, and had to mess around with the alignment a bit in order to get it all to work....

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
and shortly after I got to work this morning, I was handed the box from driftmotion containing the dump pipe and wastegate.... A 1 week delivery is not bad at all from the US to Perth....

Thanks Aaron :)

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie

Last night I laid all the bits out and took a few photos...

Hopefully sometime this weekend I'll be able to finish removing the old turbos and dummy fit the new gear, measure up the oil and water lines I'll need and make sure it all goes together ok.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Sweet car, aerotops are the bomb.

Nice choice of turbo, I'm curious how hard was it to fit the previous 2JZ turbos to the 1JZ?

Also, Limited, in Toyota speak, is the top of the range model. Usually they are autos, Targa is an option AFAIK, and yeah digi dash is standard.

You have an awesome variant/combination of the JZA model, makes a nice change!

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
FIL;1140646 said:
yup... all the JZA70's I know of in Aus are targas, and mine is the only factory manual I've seen (allegedly there is another one, but I haven't seen it yet)

There is a manual targa JZA-70 in SA, has analog dash tho. Not sure if its factory manual or not, the dude bought it the same week I bought mine, and they got sent over on the same truck too. I've only ever seen it once in SA.

Manual aerotops are rare, mine is one of only 2 factory manual aerotops that I know of in SA, the other one belongs to a friend of mine.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
ok... time for another update..... since my last post, i've finished removing the old turbos, went to dummy fit the new gear and found that the holes for the studs from the head on the new manifold weren't drilled right....

so i ended up buying a die grinder and bits and took care of that.... just set me back a little while and a little more money...

(side note: left the ebay seller neg feedback as i'd tried to resolve it with them, and they did not respond... so they left me a non-paying strike.... now i have to wait for it to expire as they're not responding to my response to that...)

once i'd fixed up the manifold problem, i bolted it to the side of the engine, put the turbo on, and the down pipe.... all seems to fit in pretty well... the coolant return for the rear turbo comes close to the down pipe, but apparently the standard practice in this case is just to bend it a little, as it's getting blanked off anyway....

still need to get the wastegate pipe cut and the v-band flange welded on, was hoping to have it done, but my boilermaker mate who i was going to get to do it, has gone east to take his jailbar pickup and his bike to a couple of hot rod shows... so i'll get that done when he gets back....

and then i just need to sort the oil and water lines... i have most of the fittings, courtesy of Aaron and DriftMotion, just have to source the oil feed fitting on the turbo (which I've found at Arizona Performance and DriftMotion, but the diving dollar and my lack of time with the new drag season starting up here has slowed me down a bit, so I haven't ordered it yet)

The rest of the fittings are all off the shelf stuff from most braided line suppliers, and I'll get a mate of mine at one of the local race supplies shops to sort those out all in one go once I've got everything bolted up...

then, in theory, all I have left to do is:
-short pipe to join the down pipe to the front of the cat
-intake plumbing (still deciding whether to use lots of silicone bends, or use as much steel as possible)
-tune it and start driving!

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
It seems like it to me too, it's been a long time happening, but then again, I haven't spent that many hours on it... I'm just working on it when the time is right...

And now that I'm saving for a US trip as well (and hoping to have a fairly large amount of spending money saved up by then) I'm getting a bit tighter with the funds...