fcd help

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i know that everyone says not to use an fcd, and i understand why. at this point i plan on using it with a lot of tuning. i tried to use crisps instructiuons, but they were only good if i have an hks fcon.
i found this after hours of looking and need to know if it's correct for a 1990 supta.
Red - +12v
Black - Ground
Green - IG (tach signal)
White - karman signal input (connect to signal from AFM)
Yellow - karman signal output (connect to ecu)
Set dial to the number 3 position

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
here's a pinout for my car which pins do i use to install the fcd. thanks.. not sure which afm pin to use, or which ign .

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
dammit. i just noticed that too. just checked it again, that's what alldata has for a gte. they could be wrong.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
the hks instructions don't come up. i checked that site like an hour ago. i can't find the type k instructions anywhere.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i'm so close. anyone want to clue me in as to which rpm signal wire is easiest to use? i'm mounting the fcd behind the glove box.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i know, i know. i've been at this for a few hours already. i was looking to tap in at the igniter, but i could do it on this side of the firewall.
believe me, i totally appreciate the help.

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
I've tried to look up specs and other things for these cars on alldata at school. My general experience with alldata is it's good for what it is. But wouldn't rely on it so much for this car.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
well, it's all installed now. the good news is there's no more fuel cut. there is bad news though......... the car runs rough, almost like the plugs are bad. for example.... if you're going 30 or so in 3rd gear and give it gas, it stumbles a bit then clears up. i just changed the plugs a few days ago, so i'm thinking that's not it.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
ok, so i'm still looking for some advice from someone who has used one of these.
i replaced the autolite 3923's for the ngk's that cross over to 3922's. when revving the car in neutral, it stumbles through the rev range.
at this point i uninstalled the fcd, and the car revs perfectly.
i took the car out expecting to hit fuel cut right away, but it didn't. it was faster than it ever was before. it pulled hard to redline, and ran mint all the way home.
after sitting for almost an hour i took it to the store, and of course it hit fuel cut in second like it had always done.
of course now i'm totally confused as to why it is so intermittent, and i'm wondering if there's anything i can replace to stop the fuel cut from happening.
thanks for taking the time to read this.............. kevin

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
To do it properly?

550cc injectors + lexus afm mod or your choice of standalone and some proper tuning. Doing other things such as upgrading the fuel pump and installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator at the same time is also highly recommended. Fuel cut is the stock system basically telling you that you're running out of room to supply more fuel. The fuel cut defender was never meant to be used on it's own and is dangerous to do so.

As for why it would hit fuel cut sometimes and not others, fuel cut is compromised of a calculation that involves a number of variables. Something as simple as a change in air temperature will affect it. If you are right on the border line, it's not uncommon to run in to it under certain conditions and not in others.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i have a lex afm, 550's, walbro 255, and an afcii that i haven't installed yet. i plan on going megasquirt in the spring and doing it the right way. honestly, i was just looking to get a couple clean passes at the track this year as it is. i guess i'll just hold off till i can get the ms installed.
thanks for the advice......