FCD - good for anything?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I am looking into some solutions that will let me keep my car running safely.

Currently the car has an HKS boost controller and FCD. These items actually came already installed when I bought the car. My understanding is that the FCD can do more harm than good. The plan was to remove it, but I would like to know if there are any benefits to keeping it?

I would also love recommendations as to what other items are needed to keep my Supra running well.

My setup is a 3" DP with elbow, high flow cat, 3" exhaust, intake, the injectors are to be cleaned and flow-tested and the turbo is being rebuilt by Driftmotion to a 57 trim. A wideband AFR gauge is also on the way. I'm hoping for a power increase to ~325 whp or so.

QUESTIONS:

1. Any reason to keep the FCD?
2. Do I need to run larger injectors and/or a fuel pressure regulator and larger AFM?
3. Is a SAFC sufficient for the type of tuning I need, or should I be looking at a more advanced solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Bump -

I got a little long-winded in my initial post. Main question is if there is any reason to keep the FCD. I think not, but wanted some confirmation before I rip it out.

Thanks!

swank

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver, BC
dugums said:
I am looking into some solutions that will let me keep my car running safely.

Currently the car has an HKS boost controller and FCD. These items actually came already installed when I bought the car. My understanding is that the FCD can do more harm than good. The plan was to remove it, but I would like to know if there are any benefits to keeping it?

I would also love recommendations as to what other items are needed to keep my Supra running well.

My setup is a 3" DP with elbow, high flow cat, 3" exhaust, intake, the injectors are to be cleaned and flow-tested and the turbo is being rebuilt by Driftmotion to a 57 trim. A wideband AFR gauge is also on the way. I'm hoping for a power increase to ~325 whp or so.

QUESTIONS:

1. Any reason to keep the FCD?
2. Do I need to run larger injectors and/or a fuel pressure regulator and larger AFM?
3. Is a SAFC sufficient for the type of tuning I need, or should I be looking at a more advanced solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Why don't you try using the FCD since fuel cut will come on early with the 57 trim and just keep an eye on your afr's and see what numbers you can put down. If the afr's get too high then throw in an afpr or safc to add some fuel. The 440's should be good to 400 whp.

Here's a couple third gear pulls I did the other week at 8-9psi with 60 trim CT-26, 3" turbo back, and 2.5" chargepipes on stock fuel and ecu with an FCD:

p654808_1.jpg

p654808_2.jpg

After 10psi I start going lean. So be careful :)

Last edited: