Favorite spray paint?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
What type/brand of aerosol paint does everyone recommend for best durability on metal? If at all possible I'd like to not have order the stuff online.

Thanks!

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
I have used all sorts of different brands from Dupli-color to krylon, to rustoleum.

The key is in the prep work and paint work itself as much as it is the paint.

But like mentioned above, it depends on the goal.

What are you painting?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'm going to be using it in the interior floor, and behind some trim pieces. (bare metal.) The only place it'll really be exposed to high levels of direct sunlight will be in the hatch area. The durability is mainly for that area as well as I'd like to be able to throw all kinds of crap back there if need be. Weather and salt other than sunlight are not really an issue.

I of course will do the prep to the best of my relative limited ability.

85CS - Implying that the brands you mentioned really have no benefit from one to another?

Thanks!

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Personally I like the dupli-color because of its easy spray tips. They also seem to not plug up as easy between coats and spray more evenly. But really... the spray nozzles are GREAT on them.

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Dupli-color's spray nozzles are by far the best i've used from a spray can, also their engine paint seems to hold strong on most anything you put it on.. the 500 degree paint i've used on plenty of places that weren't engine parts.. And it seems to work perfectly..

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
FoolishOne;1332532 said:
JJ, prop paint? Propeller paint, like for boat/marine applications?

You're thinking too low altitude probably...

I can prob get it in any color I like as long as it's flat black. ;) Although if that color is a medium gray-ish... then we're in business! LOL

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Very interesting! Can you comment on how thick the stuff goes on? Just typical spray paint thickness I would imagine from it's application...

Is primer needed?

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
jetjock;1332573 said:
Yes, prop as in aircraft. They're 1 part "epoxy" type paints similar to the appliance spray paints found in good hardware stores, which is another option I suppose, as would be marine paint. Tempo is one maker of such paints and gray is common:

http://tinyurl.com/mtjzl7

Bet that works well on suspension and roll-cages. :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I was half joking but it is abrasion resistant. Probably overkill for this use though.

Colin: Goes on just like normal paint but recommend you follow the instructions. Primer isn't needed but wouldn't hurt if the paint will be going over bare metal. Tempo also makes primers. Look on that same site. As pointed out good paint work is all in the prep...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'm okay with $7 worth of overkill, it's hardly breaking the bank!

I was hoping it would have instructions, seemed like it might not because of the market. I'll do a little test spot with no primer to see how it sticks. Unfortunately I placed my order for it already so hopefully it'll stick to a wire brushed surface well enough with either a different brand of "automotive" primer, or no primer at all.