fan clutch issue

Jaemoney21

Dec 18, 2012
Baltimore
ok so i'm 99% sure my fan clutch should be replaced but i'm also gonna replace cam seals, front main seal and oil pump gasket while removing the fan so i figured i can make this a 1 time get it all done thing once i get things figured out. my fan clutch has play first off and second its been making a noise when it gets to about 2k rpms and up which is why i figure its time to replace but i was thinking of going the route of deleting the fan clutch and putting a 2 or 3 row radiator in with electric fans instead and wanted to get feedback on it and if anyone can recommend a brand that has it all in one kit if possible but also not trying to break the bank i've seen mishimoto wants about 5-600. i also understand most people say the fan clutch is better than electric fans but i don't think i will be able to find a factory replacement for this engine i'm running a 1g-gte so i figured i'd upgrade the radiator to a 2 or 3 row to kind of compensate for downgrading the fan. sorry for the long paragraph but any help is appreciated thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Even with a bigger radiator you can still overheat without a good fan.

Replace the fan clutch with a new or good used one and keep it.

Jaemoney21

Dec 18, 2012
Baltimore
i would replace it if i could find a replacement for the 1g engine but not sure there are any out there which is why i figured going the easier route of getting a bigger radiator with 2 electric fans and a fan shroud.

Jaemoney21

Dec 18, 2012
Baltimore
thanks for the reply i didn't think the 7m clutch would fit on the 1g since almost nothing else from the 7m is compatible with it. i will give it a shot because i would definetly like to keep the factory fan on it and hopefully it fits

Jaemoney21

Dec 18, 2012
Baltimore
just an update the 7m fan did fit on the 1g just needed to buy a seperate set of nuts to get it on but all is good thanks for the help appreciate it now time to move on to the next problem lol