Fan Clearance and 2JZ swap other questions

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
I'm about to replace the 7M-GE in my Mk3 with a 2JZ-GE (from a 1995 Mk4 Supra)

This SHOULD be a very straightforward swap, as the two engines are VERY similar (unlike the turbo versions), plus the N/A Mk4 also uses a W58 gearbox, so bellhousings are readily available cheaply.

I'm actually hoping the car will only be off the road for a couple of days, so I've been getting all the parts together and doing lots of research . . . however, despite all the different write-ups on different websites, almost all seem incomplete or vague about particular details ! (even IBoughtASupra‎'s write-up on here that I've just seen for the first time)

One area is the Fan . . . my 2JZ-GE has its original viscous coupler and fan that LOOKS like it will fit my stock radiator shroud OK (it's the same size as my current fan) and it also protrudes the same distance from the engine. So can't see why it won't fit. Yet several people have mentioned that I would need the coupler from an LS400 . . . why?

Also . . . people mention "modifying" the fuel line on the 7M to fit the 2JZ . . . what exactly do you need to make it fit? (I was planning on keeping the 2JZ fuel damper)

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
So with the 2JZ-GE viscous coupler (as came on the engine from a Mk4 Supra I have) it should fit the Mk3 radiator shroud OK?

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
Yes but isn't what you guys call the "Clutch Fan" what we call a Viscous Coupler?

I just wondered why most write-ups talk about having to fit one from an LS400, when the one fitted to the 2JZ-GE I have from a Mk4 Supra looks as if it will be OK? (although I haven't yet fitted it in the car . . . which is why I'm trying to suss this out in advance, so I don't have a problem when I do the swap, hopefully getting it finished within a couple of days)

Perhaps it's just because you guys don't get many N/A Mk4 Supras over there to get engines from? (there are thousands here in England, because the Jap ones are RHD of course)

Any advice about what exactly you have to do to make the Mk3 Fuel line fit the 2JZ would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'm using a 2jzge fan clutch and fan blade on a 1j. It's off a sc300. Should be same as mk4.

If you use the ls400 it would have to be with a 7mgte fan clutch. As it will not bolt up properly.

Use the 2jz it will work better.

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
Oh that's re-assuring, thank you !

I know I will SEE whether it clears the radiator and shroud OK when I do the engine swap . . . but the plan is to try and get it all bolted up and running the same day, so if I needed any extra parts I'd want to get them in advance. (think I have all the parts I need now!)

Last edited: