Failed fuel pump = fried ECU?

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
My project is a 1986.5 where the previous owner swapped a 7MGTE in place of the 7MGE. He said both cars were running prior to the swap (turbo had been crashed and NA had BHG.) Car has now been sitting for over two years. When I first brought the car home I am sure the fuel pump would cycle, that was two years ago and before my son took a stab at getting it to run. I now have the time for this project and so far this is what I found:

First fault: No spark, no fuel pump, no power to B+ in diag box. Found 7.5 IG fuse to ECU would blow as soon as power was applied. Found that if 10 pin connector at ECU was disconnected then fuse would not blow. Disconnected each wire one at a time from connector but draw was still there. (I used a test light in place of the fuse, connecting it after each wire was disconnected. The light would be off momentarily but would quickly come on.)

Luckily I found another ECU from the local Pick N Pull, Plugged it in and this problem went away. I now have power to diag box. Tried starting engine but did not hear fuel pump cycle.

Connected jumper in diag box to check fuel pump, no response I also noticed that the jumper wire started to get warm. Ran a jumper wire from battery to power side of fuel pump, no response. I am assuming the fuel pump has failed.

My questions are:
Should the fuel pump relay cycle when performing this check?
Could a faulty fuel pump cause a high amp draw through the Fp ECU terminal such that it would cause internal damage? I am afraid of damaging this ECU, they are getting hard to find!

Any insight is appreciated.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Turn the ignition on, and jumper B+ to FP in the diagnostic block, the fuel pump should run. You can check this by either using a fuel pressure gauge at the rail, or pinch the hose after the "J" tube, and you can feel fuel going through. A gauge is more accurate, of course, but just checking for flow in the hose will tell you a yes/no on if the fuel pump is running.

The fuel pump normally draws from the IG relay, though some people bypass this.

Check the online TEWD, it will tell you a lot about that circuit.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
KMinAF;1962350 said:
I am afraid of damaging this ECU, they are getting hard to find!

That happens when the inmates run the asylum. The ECU is very dependable, and failures are extremely rare. Sucks that people trashed them.