F*@#ing Taxes

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
My wife was a paid intern in 2009. She did not receive a w-2, she received a 1099-MISC. I'm doing Turbo Tax and when I enter the 1099 in its telling me that shes self-employed. How do I file this?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I dunno, but I got a 1099 for my 3 months of contract stuff last year. I'm gonna go talk to someone about it. I'm lost as hell LOL.

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
aye mate;1523624 said:
My wife was a paid intern in 2009. She did not receive a w-2, she received a 1099-MISC. I'm doing Turbo Tax and when I enter the 1099 in its telling me that shes self-employed. How do I file this?

1099-MISC is used when you are not an employee. i.e. you have to pay your part of the Medicare & SS taxes and the employers amount. Sucks, but that's life. Employees get a W-2 which shows "the amount withheld for SS, Medicare..." What it doesn't show is the amount the Employer paid for those same items.

I take great umbrage to my Inactive Ranking. I'm just old and resting......

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
r45marsh;1523645 said:
1099-MISC is used when you are not an employee. i.e. you have to pay your part of the Medicare & SS taxes and the employers amount. Sucks, but that's life. Employees get a W-2 which shows "the amount withheld for SS, Medicare..." What it doesn't show is the amount the Employer paid for those same items.

I take great umbrage to my Inactive Ranking. I'm just old and resting......

He is correct. Bend over...

Also see the IRS form SS-8. Depending on the circumstances you can request the IRS to determine her as an employee. That would make her employer liable for half of the SS and Med. Rare tho. I am a Tax Accountant out of Philadelphia, so feel free to hit me up with anymore troubles.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
1099-MISC is the EZ - for real, when you are getting paid like that, you need to set some money back that way when tax season hits you have the money to pay with. Not only that, but when you are getting paid that way you need to collect receipts for everything that way you can do some healthy sized deductions :)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Turned out ok cause my wife was also a full time student so we're getting some money back. Thanks for the help!