Extreme tire overinflation before mounting on car

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey everyone, I recently recieved a set of mounted wheels/tires from Tire Rack and before I installed them I checked the pressure in each. 36, 36, 36, PEGGED (check again on different guage) 85. So, thats about 50% over the max pressure rating on the tire, there is no physical deformation of the tire.

I've called Tire Rack about it and they're supposed to be calling me back. However, I wanted to see what others opinions are on this; since it was never installed at that pressure is it OK? Should I be concerned about anything? Or am I just paranoid?

Thanks!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yea, I'm in NSB for like... another week. Then I'm moving back to Jersey unfortunately.

I got a call back and they're going to be sending me a new tire for tomorrow... just really blows my mind how someone can fuck up something as simple as mounting a tire, lol.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
mkIIIman089 said:
Hey everyone, I recently recieved a set of mounted wheels/tires from Tire Rack and before I installed them I checked the pressure in each. 36, 36, 36, PEGGED (check again on different guage) 85. So, thats about 50% over the max pressure rating on the tire, there is no physical deformation of the tire.

I've called Tire Rack about it and they're supposed to be calling me back. However, I wanted to see what others opinions are on this; since it was never installed at that pressure is it OK? Should I be concerned about anything? Or am I just paranoid?

Thanks!

You are fine. Drop the air pressure to what you want and go.

The air pressure needed to seat the tire bead on the rim can be upwards of 80 psi Depending on:

1) the design of the drop center on the wheel
2) the stiffness and the material the tire bead is made of
3) the type of "lube" used to mount the tire

Tire rack just forgot to drop it back down before shipping it to you for install.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, not that I don't understand what your saying, since I've mounted tires before. But it says right on the tag not to inflate past 40psi to "pop the bead" so to speak.

Either way, I probably would have been OK with it after a test drive just to make sure it didn't feel funny; but Tire Rack has a tire coming to me tomorrow to replace this one. I guess they just don't want to be liable if something did happen.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
Yeah I had to put 115 psi into my 18" yokohamas to get them to seat properly. Real scary but I was told that it was due to the hump in the middle of the lexus rims i'm using. They usually have a TPMS in them and the hump is to protect the sensor if the tire goes flat. The tech probably just missed that one when he was airring it down.
I think it's cool of the tire rack to say they'll replace it even though they know there's nothing wrong with it, just to make you happy. +1 to them.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
As far as deforming the tire I doubt 80 psi would ever be capable of that. I believe Car and Driver had an article testing Z rated tires where they stated that a tire spinning at 150 mph put the equivalent of 3000 psi on the tread area of the tire. I know thats apples and oranges but it shows that tires have to withstand alot more than the demands of temporary overinflation.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
toyo4life said:
I think it's cool of the tire rack to say they'll replace it even though they know there's nothing wrong with it, just to make you happy. +1 to them.
I do think their service is very good, from the person who answered the phone (actually spoke english properly) to the lady that decided they were going to send me a new tire. I didn't ask, they just called me back and said they were going to send a new one.

Interesting bit of info... didn't think about the forces put on it when rotating.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
mkIIIman089 said:
Well, not that I don't understand what your saying, since I've mounted tires before. But it says right on the tag not to inflate past 40psi to "pop the bead" so to speak.

That would be lawyers doing their thing. For example it says "for external use only" on a tube of "Preperation-H". Back in the 60's and 70's when tire tech was basically a guessing game of "lets build it and see how it works" and shit blew all the time so they put the labels on to C.Y.A.

The amount of centrifugal force applied to a tire when it is traveling say 100 mph is going to be much greater than the 200psi or so any air compressor is going to be able stuff in there.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
p1/v1=p2/v2

30 PSI/4 liters = 60 PSI/2 liters

60 PSI/4 liters = 120 PSI/2 liters

You can see the effect above (exaggerated) of your tire hitting a bump. Obviously, a higher pre-charge will yield higher peak pressures when the volume of the tire is reduced during extreme conditions.

I think your tires are fine.