Experiences with standalones

Im about to do a new build and im really wanting to get rid of my maftpro unit, im not very happy with how it runs and tuning shops treat it like a hooker with aids. im not looking to get more than a max of maybe 400-450hp and my current intercooler setup won't let me have the stock afm.

my question is, for those of you who have done it, what standalone would you recommend and how much extra work did you have to do for it(meaning replacing cps with another system or making physical changes to the unit itself like with megasquirt). also i have been looking into the unit from simple digital systems, i like how it comes with its own coil packs but i would have to get a shop to install a magnet on the crank pully for their timing system.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
if you don't want to spend a lot, I would look at Megasquirt or an AEM v1. How complicated it is to install depends on how complicated you want to make it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ms3pro.

You can get the cpu by itself which will fit in any stock ecu for 850. Then just need to wire it up inside the box. Could go full seequential on ign and fuel if you wanted as well and use 1zz coils and get rid of the stock igniter.

How much you want to do tho is up to you.

Aem is pnp.

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
i++

Get Megasquirt 3 + MS3X expansion card.

There is a strong following with the 7M & JZ motors - MSExtra.com
Build Quality is Great with the SMB v3.57 main board (don't build it, buy it)
MSPro is even better but not needed
TunerStudio & Mega Log Viewer is mature software with plenty of support - http://www.tunerstudio.com/
Android Apps to monitor and tune your car via bluetooth - Think Android Tablet as a center console - sweet wireless touch screen batman!
Built in the USA in Georgia - F'n America Yeah!
Custom Harness is easy to make and not a lot of $$$ do re mi
Run Almost Anything EBC, 2-step, IAC, etc... out of the box!

IMO -
AEM cut corners on V1 and V2 and now is introducing Infinity??? - Is that how much money it take to purchase and own?:biglaugh::biglaugh: ha ha

How many more reasons do you need? Get Squirted -> My Total build was around $1000 - that's everything needed and a sweet running car.

Terrence LP

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
And there is this..... Included with the Paid Version of Megalog Viewer ($29.95)

Was at the Mega Meet Yesterday and got to talk with Phil Tobin, great guy and explained how to use the below. Was mind blowing!
His auto tune is also probably one of the best in the business. MegaSquirt 4Life!

Scatter Plots rendered almost instantly with hundreds of thousands of records.
scatterPlots.png