Exhaust sound

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Now its summer and I know its hot as heck anyway. But:

I have the BIC turbo pipe with flex pipe and a Titan cat along with Tanabe exhaust. The car is running great. Found the tic cause I think its the injector plugs. Gonna get new clips. Car boosts like a champ hauls on the highway and idles just fine.

When I open the hood I hear exhaust. Its like the pipe is at the back of the engine. I cant find anything wrong. Is it just normal with that exhaust for it to tone that way. I can say the inside of the car does get toasty.

(I also just found out my 91 has a different intercooler than a pre89... whhheeeeee)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Do you smoke? Hold the clutch fan while someone starts the car, blow smoke around the back of the head. If you see the smoke move quickly, bad egr cooler gasket.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Im getting ready to change out the fan shroud. I can try that. I have held my hand all around there. I had put powder back there and tried a video scope. If the gasket was bad would it cause any running issues? Its just loud when I have the hood up. I seriously dont want to pull my engine as everything is working.... God knows what else will come loose.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
Yea very easy to see from the bottom. Naw no need to do that the mounts don't need to move. You may be able to just take the shifter off and the tranny mount of and let it down as far as you can do then you may be able to get under there and get it.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
to see if the egr gasket is bad with a COLD engine start it up then put you hand below and around the egr cooler and you'll feel hot exhaust blowing out if its bad. pretty easy to check if you ask me. then if its bad you don't have to pull the trans to fix it lol. all you have to do is pull the valve covers i think i got away with just pulling the exhaust side if i remember right when mine went bad when i had a 7m in my car still. its a little hard but not too bad. what ever you do buy a toyota gasket!!!! they are meant for high temps the shitty cheap O'reallys regular gasket material will fail shortly there. gl