exhaust pours smoke at start up

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
This is a bit of an issue now. I auto started the car last week and saw smoke puff out of the exhaust. After that I started watching every day. It doesnt do it all the time but here is the problem.

I had new valve seals put in last year, there is a rebuilt turbo on the car and the headgasket is new. The car has plenty of power and runs good. Im thinking that this is my slow oil loss I have been having.

Why would it start this up again? I havent got a catch can on the car but Im thinking hard about it now.

V

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Nick M said:
Something could be wrong with the seals that were installed. Color of the smoke is a good question.

its light blue to me. It puff it for just a second when it starts up. Im watching to see if it does it from normal driving or highway driving as workdays have me coming off the highway and then letting it timer off.

Im also running 5w30 oil and its hot as hades outside when this seems to happen. Im not overheating or losing coolant at all. Good power and idle also.

Today was front caliper replacement day as both front calipers and hardware just got done now I have new springs/struts/rotors/pads/calipers. Im gonna find my vibration yet...

V

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
i get light blue smoke, but mostly at idle after ive been driving for a bit, like an hour or so of not continuous driving. sometiems it dumps the colored smoke until i start driving. then it still pours out for a bit

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you are sure the smoke is light colored and at start up, it is leaking in during shutdown. There are two places where gravity can take it in. The valve seals, and the spark plug hole.

But since I have not seen your car, this is just conjecture.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
blackturbona said:
i get light blue smoke, but mostly at idle after ive been driving for a bit, like an hour or so of not continuous driving. sometiems it dumps the colored smoke until i start driving. then it still pours out for a bit

Mine is clear at idle and doesnt smoke when I increase the throttle. I am going to have a friend watch this week and see if when I boost it smokes.

Im thinking my seals were done wrong or I need the catch can option to keep the oil out. I am using a quart every couple of weeks.

V

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
vdragonmpc said:
Mine is clear at idle and doesnt smoke when I increase the throttle. I am going to have a friend watch this week and see if when I boost it smokes.

Im thinking my seals were done wrong or I need the catch can option to keep the oil out. I am using a quart every couple of weeks.

V

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Why no catch can??

Do you have a functioning PCV system at all?

I would guess that, or valve cover seals, check for oil lingering in the spark plug valley

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
vdragonmpc said:

V

yea its weird i dont really burn oil super fast. at least not a quart a week.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
mkIIIman089 said:
It's completely unnecessary if everything else is in proper order.

Wait, are you trying to say that if everything in the engine is ok, you can just plug up the cam covers, not run a PCV system, or a catch can?

That's the first time I've ever heard of that, and it sounds like a very bad idea to me :icon_conf