exhaust piping/resonator recommendations?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I'm still open to the possibility of buying an exhaust off of someone, but the custom rout is looking far more likely, as people are just too flaky and selfish these days.... I'm not made of money, but I'm not trying to do a poor job... are there any material recommendations or specific companies I should consider should I need to get some 80mm exhaust piping? Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for a good resonator? I know I'd like to use a magnaflow muffler (as I made an exhaust with this before, and bought one from BIC as well.)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Burnsstainless.com

There mufflers can be quite loud depending on which one. Tho sound excellent.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well... the last 89 I had.... the interior literally rattled apart from my exhaust being too loud... so I know I want a magnaflow muffler... but would you guys recommend burns' resonators?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Never heard one of there resonators. But there piping is nice as well. Don't want something to thick and heavy.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
ok... So I clearly stated I wasn't made out of $$ and @ $90 for 1 transition (cheapest material)... it looks like it'd already be cheaper to buy ANOTHER BIC exhaust.... since my last one was stolen :( prolly just be cheaper to not change the exhaust at all... I know it'll help with gas mileage... but damn... the rest of the car needs work too

edit: nevermind... what I was looking at isn't even useable... a normal transition runs about $36... not breaking the bank

I did however find 3.5" magnaflow racing mufflers :naughty: (not on their site though) http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/65A2686A0A0.aspx

clearance though... my only concern... I had a BIC thunder... and on stock ride height... I still scraped sometimes... so I'm thinking possibly about mounting a 3.5" muffler under the car w/ a resonator... and doing a subtle dual exit set-up (split to a y before the pumpkin)

Last edited:

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
I have a BIC thunder on my car without a resonator and it's loud, I have been looking at resonators as well. I've found that Vibrant has a 3.5 inch one for just over 100 dollars which isn't bad so I going to pic one up so maybe check them out and see what you think.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
oh, cool.... I'll have to look into that.... seems people like to make exhaust larger than 3" not so easy to get a hold of. (magnaflow's website only has relatively small/normal mufflers on it, but they make MUCH larger ones)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well... I have a good 3" DP running into a 2.5" exhaust :nono: so, yeah I would prefer to not have my car doing that :cool:

I still have yet to pick the car up BTW (will do that on the 19th) but I DID ave a RSR exhaust lined up, till the guy just flaked on me (bothered to ask me if I could come pick it up sooner than expected, and didn't even wait a day to hear back from me before selling it to someone else(as I had responded within hours of him messaging me saying I would get it if it was urgent)) yeah, I literally responded to his query within ~ 8 hours... not good enough I guess?!?

with future mods in mind... I would prefer to at least have a 3.25" exhaust... but I would probably be ok with 3" for now... but If I'm spending the money, why not just go ahead and do a custom high-flow exhaust that won't turn any heads? (I hate having honduhs trying to race me all day long)

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
My car came with a exhaust made at Lou's custom exhaust ( only in nh and mass) 3 in from down pipe. Sounds great idk where ur from but if ur in New England Lou's is great. Mine should sound better once I get a down pipe.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
My car came with a exhaust made at Lou's custom exhaust ( only in nh and mass) 3 in from down pipe. Sounds great idk where ur from but if ur in New England Lou's is great. Mine should sound better once I get a down pipe.