exhaust paint = lower temps?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=NIM1004
browsing along and i found this site. looks to be a good idea, if the material actually lowers temps by 140 degrees F. thats a crazy drop, so far so im not sure i believe it.

heres the actual manufacturer site: http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

my friend got the wise idea to look for something to coat his exhaust satin black after he became a cop magnet. any 3" exhaust on a white subaru 2.5rs is bound to...

anyway, anyone ever used this or can back up the company's statements with logical thinking, and is it solvent or water base? picking up a few spray guns this winter to do some bodywork, so i might as well get 'em to use this stuff too.

i suppose id go ahead and do my entire exhaust from the manifold down if you guys could back me up on this info.

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
i used VHT 2500 coating on my header and exhaust side. works pretty dam good . about 10 minutes after i can touch the header. its about 10 bucks a can. worth every cent.

tomZ

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
wait...are you saying that it takes 10 minutes for the coating to dry, or after the car has run for 10 minutes you can touch the header?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Lol, I coated my downpipe with header wrap paint, then put the header wrap on, then dumped the entire can of paint onto the wrap. The wrap was good, but around the o2 sensor where it didn't get wraped the coating peeled right off after 3-4 runs. Granted this stuff was suppost to be good up to 1,500 degrees. I seriously doubt it got that hot when I drove it as I didn't really drive it hard at all.

I would go with something that can handle at least 2000 degreesm if you get something that comes out of a can

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
No, the wrap was fine, the coating on the exhaust flaked up and came off where it wasn't covered by the wrap. I just don't think that paint is good for the temp that they say they are. Granted the turbo elbow is one of the more hot spots on the car, but still, it wasn't run hard at all.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
oh, i gotcha now. this black satin stuff from techline claims 2000 degrees, so i guess we'll see how that does.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
When I start on my new engine I'm gonna see if I can find someone who will ceramic coat my exhaust manifold. I think that would be the best route to go on the exhaust, at least down to the downpipe (maybe the testpipe) anything after that would be a waste of money.

The flat black is a good idea, it takes away the bling factor, but that's what attracts the cops.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i was just gonna do everything, even though itd be a waste to do the muffler and tips, it'd still look hot on a red car.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
At least get the canister painted to keep the cops off your ass like your bud did. Good thing around here the cops are lazy bastards. We don't even have an enforced sound ordinance around here, woot!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
glntom said:
I had my BIC ddp coated with Techline Turbo X coating, it has held up very well and does lower the underhood temp.

the exact info i was looking for. thanks glntom.

anyone else had experiences good or bad?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Untouchable7mgte said:
i used VHT 2500 coating on my header and exhaust side. works pretty dam good . about 10 minutes after i can touch the header. its about 10 bucks a can. worth every cent.

tomZ

still waiting, are you saying that after 10 mins the coating is dry or after 10 mins after running the car you can touch it?

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
After coating with the Turbo X the piece needs baked to cure, you can give it a few hours, then carefully install the piece( to avoid removing coating) and crank the car, the exhaust heat will cure the coating. I found this fairly easy to do with the car on jack stands.
The Techline website covers instructions fairly well. A small can was enough to coat my downpipe and leave about 1/2 can for future use.

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
no pics, I'm too impatient when I have a new part in my hands, it doesn't sit around long enough to get its picture taken. Its buried in the engine compartment , kind of hard to photograph. I'll give it a try this weekend if time permits.