Exhaust manifold question

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have a bad exhaust leak right before the cat where manifold goes 2-1, right at the welds its cracked and has a couple pin holes. I tried welding it up underneath the car but its obviously cracked again because the leak is back. I know the that the lower half of the manifold comes off but is it going to be a pain in the ass to take off? Anyone have a part number for the gaskets? Also the heat shield is rattling and rusty.. should I just toss it? The pipe isnt very rusty at all just in the one spot.

877m

Feb 10, 2009
Lewiston, NY
Island_Yota;1317051 said:
I have a bad exhaust leak right before the cat where manifold goes 2-1, right at the welds its cracked and has a couple pin holes. I tried welding it up underneath the car but its obviously cracked again because the leak is back. I know the that the lower half of the manifold comes off but is it going to be a pain in the ass to take off? Anyone have a part number for the gaskets? Also the heat shield is rattling and rusty.. should I just toss it? The pipe isnt very rusty at all just in the one spot.

are you talking about the manifold right off the motor before the turbo. or the elbow and downpipe if its the elbow and down pipe off the back of the turbo you should just order a 3 inch elbow and downpipe some pepole swear by the lipp elbow and the twin divorced downpipe but i got i 3inch elbow off ebay and a 3inch downpipe and they work fine plus that will give ya i little deeper sound. and the heat shield i would try to save it if i could try cleaning it up and spraying it with the aluzink paint that holds up pretty well

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
877m;1317058 said:
are you talking about the manifold right off the motor before the turbo. or the elbow and downpipe if its the elbow and down pipe off the back of the turbo you should just order a 3 inch elbow and downpipe some pepole swear by the lipp elbow and the twin divorced downpipe but i got i 3inch elbow off ebay and a 3inch downpipe and they work fine plus that will give ya i little deeper sound. and the heat shield i would try to save it if i could try cleaning it up and spraying it with the aluzink paint that holds up pretty well

Im talking about the manifold on my 7MGE. Thanks for the info though.

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
87tomanymods;1317070 said:
id get a header they are only like $150

Anddd where could i find deez cheap headers?:naughty: I need to get a set for my car as my manifold snapped off just before the cat due to rust. Last time i checked (yesterday) cheapest i could find was around $250, thats not including taxes, shipping, etc.

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
the lower half of the manifold is a total of 5 bolts, 3 connecting it to the header, and 2 to the cat. The top 3 can be tricky but an assortment of extensions and deep/shallow 14mm sockets and wrenches should help.