Exhaust Manifold Leak

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Bolts are stripped (Last time i will ever goto Midas to do anything, esp when they will not honor their work :3d_frown: )

im thinking to fix this myself and i was wondering if anyone has had done this before? is it fun...?or... :squirt-mo

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
I assume you are talking about the studs in the head, and the head is stripped. You can remove the manifold easy enough. There is an insert called "KEENSERT" that is the best. There are others that are actually a copy, and they work the same.
You follow the instructions that come with the kit. You'll need the correct size inserts (listed by the size and thread of the bolts/studs coming out).
When your done, it will provide a better threaded hole than original.
Get kit at a 'good' hardware store or auto parts house. Also, the tool trucks carry them.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah studs .. bolts.. saddly they look the same to me sometimes, thanks for the info i'll look around for those kits

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Mine had the same problem when I took the manifold off due to exhuast leak. I had to drill out the holes and then helicoil them so that I could use the same studs.

Race Bred

Mar 30, 2005
Tallahassee, Fl
To answer the question of is it fun: Not at all if the head is in the car, but it can be done if you have a right angle drill and a good bit of patience. I would go ahead and order new studs, nuts, and gasket(s) before you get started on it.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
its the same bolt i had a problem with on my car that Cj had... ugh saddly i will have to put this off for a while. and according to the link if the manifold was removed before there is a 50/50 chance... and whenever i can remove it, it will be the fourth time so... i guess luck was on my side for a while

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
isnms said:

Yep, I'd have to say I've used the top-of-the-line Screw-Lock Helicoil, which provides added vibration resistance via a specially deformed center thread. They worked fine, and is 'much cheaper', and easier to find, than the 'Keenserts" I mentioned earlier. I was a tech at Toyota for over 4 years, and I had to repair stripped exhaust stud holes all the time. Usually the owner or some friend over-tightened the nuts when it got a leak sound.

We used the Keensert because 'regular' helicoils sometimes got loose, or stripped out the hole further, or would come out of the hole when removing the stud/nut (frozen together from heat and rust).

When the manifold is off, be sure to check it for a flat, straight mating surface. I've seen dozens of manifolds that were warped slightly, so they won't seal tight. I just sent one to the machine shop for a 'trueing mill' and it was only $35 (here in expensive Calif). :icon_bigg

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
update: i do have bolts in the head, appearently when there was work on it before, they replaced the studs with bolts :evildeal:

that alone could have caused the leak..