Exhaust manifold heat wrap

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Any hints or tips on using exhaust heat wrap. I have an HKS short runner manifold that I want to wrap.
1. Hints/tips on wrapping?
2. Do you have to spray the manifold before and/or after wrapping with the material with Hi-Temp silicone spray?
3. What length will I need? Will 25' cover it, or should I get the 50' roll?
4. Pics of your project
5. Black or white color wrap?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I did my down pipe a while back, sorry, don't have a digi cam yet, but will in a little over a week ;). I sprayed the downpipe with 2K degree silicone paint, cured it, then started wrapping the down pipe. I first made sure that I did a complete overlap starting out, then I began working my way down the DP in tight passes while trying to leave 1/4" overlap each time. After getting the header wrap completely off the first overlap, I used a SS headerwrap tie and clamped that bitch down tight to keep it from sliding anywhere ;). I just took my time and wrapped tightly, while trying to overlap the same amount each time until I got to the bottom. I then did a full overlap at the very end at the Test pipe hook up and tied that end off with another SS tie. I then hung up the DP and put several layers of the 2K silicone paint on the wrap.

Hope this helps! The proccess should be almost the same for doing the exhaust manifold, but I don't think you'll actually have to coat the header w/paint b4 you put the wrap on. I just did it for added heat protection ;).

Ninja edit: I had a 100' roll and I estimate I usend around 60-70' ;).

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
p456667_1.jpg

I started from the head flange nice and tight, then secure it with a zip-tie or something. Then keep it tight and don't miss any spots. :)

It's itchy, so wear gloves.

Apparently a lot of people soak the wrap in water first... but I didn't... no ill effects here.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
How much heat does this keep out of the engine bay and in the exhaust??? Because if it does a good job i might do my down pipe. Does it also reduce engine noise to being as it covers the exhaust??

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I did my downpipe, same method described as everyone above.
There's no real method, just take your time, do it slow, and overlap a lot. It will move over time, so get it on there good.. pull real tight, wear gloves.
I just used stainless steel hose clamps at both ends of the downpipe.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
starscream5000 said:
I sprayed the downpipe with 2K degree silicone paint, cured it, then started wrapping the down pipe.

Make sure you do this at minimum...you want to coat the metal before wrapping to provide a barrier for moisture. These type wraps can trap moisture between the wrap and manifold...add heat and you have the perfect environment for rapid oxidation (i.e. rust). If the metal is stainless steel, you won't have this problem.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
I have done a few race car headers. The best way is use a snap tie to hold it at first and over lap the first wrap by about half and the just over a 1/4 overlap from there on out. Constantly unwind to stop tangling and pull very tight. Most of the time I grab on with my hands and twist hard in the direction I am winding every wrap or two. Some people spray high temp paint to over the top once they are done and let it burn in to hold the wrap tighter. But if you take your time and wrap tightly as you go there should be no need. Also a lot of kits include stainless steel wraps. I would recommend using at least one in the middle to keep the wrap better for longer! HTH

Thanks,
Seth

Supra510

A wagon just passed you.
Feb 26, 2006
Newberg, OR
www.cardomain.com
It's easier to wrap and stretch when a little wet. A trick I use is to get a spray bottle with water in it and spray as I go along. A lot easier than soaking it in water. As stated above I painted the manifold first with Thermotec's high temp paint, wrapped it, then used the paint again to get it black.

674663_29_full.jpg