exhaust dilemma

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
okay so here is the deal... i recently came upon $150 in extra cash and i want to bump my exhaust up to 3".. the shop i went to said that for $120 they could go 3" from the cats back. it is not mandrel bent and it is aluminide pipeing.. then they said that they would put on a turbo exhaust... idk what that means.. but w/e.

what i want to know is will doing that add a noticible amount of power to my car?

and can i eventually upgrade the rest,( from the turbo back) and leave the pipeing from the cats back?

i have an appointment to go in at 2:00 tommorrow.

btw... im not looking to insanely fast.. ive just heard that the stock exhuast is restrictive and thougth that it might be an easy way to get a little extra power..

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
I say save some money and buy the BIC downpipe that already has a 3" elbow already welded on. I haven't used it but I have read a lot of of good things about the product. Thinking about doing it myself.

Hopefully someone with some experience will chime in cause I am curious what the best options are also.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
if i where you i would just save up some more money and buy a cat back that is mandrel bent b/c your exhaust is only as good as the smallest resriction and if you use crush bent 3 inch pipe @ the bends it will only be 2.5 to 2.75 inch @ the most. then later on you can get a dp and a test pipe and it would be a good idea to get a dp with the elbow already on it like the bic. i myself really like th divorced dp that bic makes but i don't run one personally. keep an eye on the forsale section to get a good inespensive cat back or maybe even a full turbo back. hope this helps you out.

-Zac

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
yeah... i just really wanted to get it done tommorrow.. idk what a mandrel bent pipe is going to cost me... or what kind of hp gains to expect

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
its aluminized piping. that means its steel that has been coated w/ an aluminum alloy. it just helps prevent rusting is all it does.

crush bends arent the greatest, but for our cars you can make the exhaust with one single bend, and that isnt much of one, right around a 45* bend. this keeps the exhaust as straight as possible, but it will come out at an angle. not sure if you were looking for that or the more stock look.

i dont think its a bad deal, esp if they will design it like im talking about. even tho its crushed bent, it isnt a sharp angle and wont effect flow a whole lot.

now on the other hand, if they want to make it like stock, i wouldnt do that. several tight bends that will really neck down and hurt flow.

you can use stainless steel instead of the aluminized steel. it wont "crush" as much when bending if you wanted a more stock designed exhaust. it is quite a bit more, and prob not worth your time. but you could always ask.

turbo exhaust, they probably mean a "turbo" muffler. its nothing super special, and its either an actual dynomax turbo, or a knock off. right around a $40 muffler.

hope this helps

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Does that include a new 3" cat and 3" muffler?

I would put the money into a 3" downpipe first. Even with just a 3" downpipe and the stock cat back you will have noticeable gains in power/torque.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
blackout_89t said:
Does that include a new 3" cat and 3" muffler?

I would put the money into a 3" downpipe first. Even with just a 3" downpipe and the stock cat back you will have noticeable gains in power/torque.
they said they can keep the stock cats probably.... its a catback....

umm is it hard to do the downpipe by yourself... and would the test pipe help much?

because they wont let me do anything illegal obviously so if i take out the cats i have to do it.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i got a whole lot more performance out of the exhaust over the dp. maybe the guys that felt such an improvement swapping the dp had a clogged pre cat or something. dunno.

dp is more tricky to make than the exhaust, atleast for me.

btw, dr jonezz is selling a dp right now in the for sale section.

id prefer the bic divorced dp personally, but its twice the money you are looking at for either the hks dp or the cat back from the shop.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I just picked up a 3" stainless catback (with cat delete pipe) on these boards for $230 shipped. I'd save up and hold out and get something that is worth it. You want it done tomorrow....I've run with a bic ddp -stock cat - stock catback for 2 years. put down 266hp 292tq that way.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
dbsupra90 said:
i got a whole lot more performance out of the exhaust over the dp. maybe the guys that felt such an improvement swapping the dp had a clogged pre cat or something. dunno.

dp is more tricky to make than the exhaust, atleast for me.

btw, dr jonezz is selling a dp right now in the for sale section.

id prefer the bic divorced dp personally, but its twice the money you are looking at for either the hks dp or the cat back from the shop.

did you get just a catback? and was it mandrel bent?

can a guy like me do the dp by myself... and about the test pipe... it says it's 3" but it can still be used on the stock exhaust ... does that sound right? i could to that myself right?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
ok, i'll check to see if its still there. its nothing real special, and used for a couple months. its aluminized steel w/ flared ends and 2 flanges. dont think i have the gaskets for it, but you could pick those up about anywhere really. they are just 3" 2 bolt flange gaskets.

i'll let you know tomorrow if its still there, and send you a pm about it. and yes, a lot cheaper than $60 ;)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes, just the main cat on the bottom. how much you gain will depend on what kind of shape yours is in. most claim roughly 12hp gain, i cant say really, never dyno'd to see the difference. if yours is in bad shape (clogged) it will make a huge difference.

btw, you in selah wa?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes there are gaskets there already. but the center hole isnt 3" in diameter. it will work, but you wont get full flow out of it. provided of course they dont fall apart while taking them off.

btw, from here on out you can just pm me so we dont run up 5 pages of talking back and forth ;)