Exhaust Camshaft, Warped Head?

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
I had a strange noise start yesterday, sort of like a muffled rattling noise from inside the cam cover and running rough. I removed the cam cover and started it, as soon as it idled down the noise was apparent and sounded like it was coming from the exhaust side.

I checked the camshaft bearing caps to see if they were all tight, turns out there were about 4 that had come loose down to 10 N-m. I torqued them up to 20N-m then checked the valve clearances, all checked out within spec.

If the cam isn’t true or if the head is warped would this cause the bolts to loosen? Is there anything I can do like use lock tight or something to make sure they don't come loose again?

I’m going to take the cam to a machine shop and have the runout checked and see if I can get a straight edge and check the head for flatness.

I guess I should also mention that I did helicoil a few of the inserts and this could be where my problem lies, but they did torque down to spec. Is it possible that they came loose because of a warped head? And by them being loose would this have anything to do with the symptoms I’m getting?

Last edited: