EVERYONE! How Long: Diff Swap

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
So my diff that i bought from someone on here should be commin' in tommorrow. the problem is that i dont know how i am gonna go about installing it. i can't do it on my own here because all i have is a jack and some tools probably not relevant to this job and i'm not allowed to do work on my car in the apartment complex anyway. Plus it's too cold to function laying on pavement.
My teacher looked up a diff swap in the little "how long it should take" thing and it stated 5 hours, so he is not going to let me do it in open shop on saturday. i told him that you guys do it in 2.5-3 but he didn't really believe me.

If i can get as many of you guys telling me if it was your first time or not and how long it took, maybe i can convince my teacher that i can do this job and not have to throw my money to some unknown mechanic to do it for me.
Please help me out.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
its depends man, that book doesnt account for rusted on stubborn bolts, or the ones that break. unless you pb blast the living hell out of it and figure out every single nut and bolt that needs to come off before you do the job and go at it like a motherfuker its gonna take you a while. I remember my 15 minute oil change took 5 hours because the filter broke in half.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you have a lift in the shop and a couple of helpers (a pair of tall screw jacks is a plus)...3 hours max. The biggest challenge in this case is getting the side drive shafts out of the way. You can disconnect them at the differential and pull all the way up...support w/ a wire. Then you have to work them back into place once the differential is secure.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
empera said:
if u need help let me know, we've done ryan's a couple of times...
rEally? if you'd be down to help, i'd really appreciate it cuz at this point im snatching any hope of help i can get. ill PM or IM you, thanks
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
-drop the subframe.

IMHO, it's easier than doing all that w/ it in the car.

And you can change the fuel filter very easily w/ it all out.

nah, i don't think im gonna drop the whole thing. i could, but i'd rather not, besides, i replaced my fuel filter a couple months ago. good thought though

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
First time I did mine I was on the floor with the car jacked up. I PB-blasted the bolts, came back about 30 minutes later... Took about 2 hours.

On a jack, with helpers I doubt it would take that long.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
the oil is this "new" diff i got is supposdly as old as the car i came out of. do you think i should change the fluid in it? naturally, i would..but i was told that with rears and transmissions you should change the fluid regularly or not at all because if its not changed reguarly, the dirt and stuff that builds up holds it together and flushing it out will create larger clearances and problems.
i seem to believe this because when i replaced the fluid in my auto tranny, a couple days later it started slipping from 1st to 2nd and still does to this day.
what ya think?

00Si87Supra

Aug 4, 2006
Lafayette Louisiana
Personally I would change the oil. I did on my diff I changed out a month ago and I havn't had any problems. If I remember correctly it had alot of miles on the diff.

Just put the correct oil in and you should be fine, if the diff is good to begin with. I might be wrong, but just telling you from my personal experience.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
A friend of mine and myself, yanked one out of my parts car in about 30 minutes. 2 jackstands, floorjack, 1/2 drive ratchet and a Makita cordless impact.

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
bryanintexas said:
A friend of mine and myself, yanked one out of my parts car in about 30 minutes. 2 jackstands, floorjack, 1/2 drive ratchet and a Makita cordless impact.
same here... maybe it's a texas thing, shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes with a helpey helper. as far as the oil change thing, I would only use that rule with automatic transmissions, I've got a 2001 chevy half ton with over 250,000 miles... not one transmission flush, not gonna start now.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
Dude, you'll be fine. Shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to swap. As far as changing oil, I would. Both my supras hadn't had the diff oil done in a LONG time when i got them and after the new oil they both felt way better.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i asked my teachers about the whole changing oil deal and i was told that in the auto tranny the clutch packs wear down and then crap from it fills in this and flushing it creates unwanted clearances. only it doesnt happen with every car..its like one of those iffy things. as for the rear, he says its not the same deal, changing the oil in the rear is a good idea,and then drive the car in a lot doing figure eights to lubriate all parts in the diff(good tip)
cool.