Eric's Black 91 turbo build ...... Its about Damn Time!

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Okay so, I've been a lurker on here for a while, but I've been into the mk3 supra since high school. Back in '07 I had a good paying job as a drafter with a construction company and I finally bought a black 91 turbo:

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

It had really bad blowby, needed a rebuild and some minor suspension work. Being 24 and knowing everything, I had a friend help me with the build but I did it really cheap..... This would come back and bite me in the ass later. However, in 2009 when the construction industry took a big hit I was laid off, so I garaged the supra and went back to school to get my Bachelor's in Engineering-Construction Management. Now, its time to have some fun, get this thing back on the road so I can enjoy it again.

Towing it back to my place (Gotta love AAA)

Uh, Yeah, that' not good...

Anyone know how to wire? I'm kinda colorblind, so I try to stay away from it:

Last edited:

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
So, as it sits now, the block is all torn down and waiting to go in the hot tank (Have to do it over the weekend after business hours).

My plans are:

Wiseco Pistons
Eagle Rods
Full flow oil system
Billet 58 Trim Turbo
550 Injectors
Lexus AFM
Marlin Rebuilt R154

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Nice ride - I have the exact same one! I just started a build thread (though I have been working on mine for a while) - check it out when you get a chance. Would love to compare notes as you move forward. You build looks slightly diff than mine - I bored to .40 over, put in Wiseco's and BC rods, but had the CT26 rebuilt by Albert to 57 trim with clipped exducer. What kind of HP you going for?

Too bad you aren't on this coast so we could help each other out. Anyway, keep at it, and can't wait to see your final results!

Tsupra04

Supra Number 5
Aug 7, 2011
Stewartstown, PA
Nice ride - I have the exact same one! I just started a build thread (though I have been working on mine for a while) - check it out when you get a chance. Would love to compare notes as you move forward. You build looks slightly diff than mine - I bored to .40 over, put in Wiseco's and BC rods, but had the CT26 rebuilt by Albert to 57 trim with clipped exducer. What kind of HP you going for?

Too bad you aren't on this coast so we could help each other out. Anyway, keep at it, and can't wait to see your final results!

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
So I took a couple weekends off. It was hot here in town and I decided to spend some time up in the mountains and be lazy. Here are some progress pics:

All stripped and waiting to go into the hot tank

Cylinder walls, I'll be boring them .20 over

That's the surface that was originally on the block deck. .....Probably not the best fro a MHG:(

This was sitting around at the shop. the guy had the engine in a boat and dropped a valve seat while WOT across the lake.

Here are my cam journals, is this okay????

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I also started stripping and painting stuff.

Cam Covers after some aircraft stripper and elbow grease

All primed. this was a week ago. I'm going to wet sand them and start cleaning and priming more stuff tomorrow.

So, yeah, I'm not too proud of this one, I was 22 and I didn't want my covers to leak. they didn't but it was a pain in the ass getting all of that FIPG off

I took some Etching Mag Cleaner to the upper and lower manifolds. It really cleaned it up, but I still might get it powder coated. I really want this to be a clean build, and we have a local guy that our company has sent some stuff out to that will cut me a deal on powder coating, so I might send it to him.

I also ordered my pistons, rods and an ATI pulley this week. Should be in by Wednesday. My nasty greasy transmission is headed to Marlin on Monday, and I'm looking for a torque plate!