Ensuring a straight steering wheel after rack replacement

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Following the TSRM I secured the steering wheel with a high tension bungee, that thing didnt move a bit once it was in place. I replaced the rack, and before reinstalling, I made sure the match marks on the universal joint and control valve shaft were lined up as best I could (I did the rack replacement with the motor in the car) and connected the intermediate shaft side to the universal joint on the steering column assembly. I took the car for a spin, and in order to drive straight, the wheel has to be turned slightly to the right. So that tells me the control valve shaft/intermediate shaft must have rotated while I was trying to get it connected to the u-joint on the steering column assembly.

So what are my options?

1) Remove the entire rack, secure the steering wheel in the straight position, line up the match marks on the control valve shaft and universal joint again, and figure out a way to restrict the control valve shaft/intermediate shaft from rotating while I reinsert the intermediate shaft into the u-joint on the steering column assembly.

2) Jack the car up, turn the steering wheel until the wheels are straight, loosen bolt on intermediate shaft side and bolt on control valve shaft side, pull out intermediate shaft, straighten steering wheel and secure, reinstall intermediate shaft onto control valve shaft.

3) Jack up car, straighten wheels and secure from moving, remove the steering wheel and straighten it, reinstall.

Of the three, I think that the last one would be the least intensive, mainly because, I wouldnt have to get under the car and mess with the shaft or the rack. My main question is if I could even do that without messing anything up with the spiral cable?

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
So what you're saying is that the normal "top/center" of the steering wheel is not at the 12 o'clock position? Kinda normal and not that big of a deal, but if you want to be a perfectionist, just remove/replace the steering wheel. Even if you try to do this several times, the top/center may still be slightly off... the rack/column will have enough play in it to keep you guessing a little bit. You'll see once you drive it around for a bit. Good luck!

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Yes that is exactly what I am referring to. I'd say it requires me to keep the wheel at a good +15° in order for the wheels to be straight.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Take the intermediate shaft off and turn the wheel to the right place and reinstall. You never going to get the wheel in the same place on 2 different racks by eye balling.

If you mess with just the wheel you can mess with the clock spring.

Or you can get an alignment and adjust it through the tie rods.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
For 15 degrees, you should do some adjustment under the hood. For 5 degrees or less, I'd just make the adjustment at the steering wheel.

I like the wheel to be straight, particularly the 3 spoke wheel, since I rest my hands on the top of the pair of spokes a lot.