Engne Management options?

bigboost7m

Apr 20, 2005
Center Line, MI
Is there a way to eliminate the AFM? I know the turbo guys use MAFT setups, can we? Apex SAFC? I plan on getting bigger injectors and just want to know my options. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
yes tou can run maft pro on an N/a car to get rid of the AFM just be sure to get the speed density kit too if you want to eliminate the AFM, an safc is a good choice because its cheap and simple but will still easily get the job done on an n/a car you cant get rid of the AFM with just that though.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
First there is a difference in MAF Translators: http://www.maftpro.com/

There's the MAF Translator, the MAF Translator Gen II and the MAF Translator Pro.

I don't know if any of the more basic models (MAFT or MAFT Gen II) support the 7M-GE's electronics. The MAFT Pro offers alot more than the SAFCII, timing control, MAP conversion, MAF translation. The SAFC is just a fuel computer (unless I've missed something)... both are piggybacks, the MAFT Pro just offers alot more functionality.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
So is the SAFC ok for supporting mods like cams and exaust in an NA? Or is there risks in running something so simple? I would like to get something like this without getting into anything too complex. the mods are gonna cost enough, I don't want to risk anything by going with a cheap(i.e. insufficent) fuel manger.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
lol, my brother installed an SAFC and nothing went wrong. He just didn't get to tune his A/F ratio because he had no wideband.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
SAFC II is a great, very popular and well documented fuel controller. If that's all you need it's perfect. If you think down the road you might want to ditch the restrictive, stock AFM get the MAFT Pro. If you think you might want timing control check out how much a SAFC II *and* MSD6 will cost versus the MAFT Pro.

It all depends on your plans for the car and future expectations.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
All I am planning is cams, head work and exaust. I just thought that the stock ecu wouldn't be able to handle the cams. the timing can be adjusted manually but the a/f and fuel has to be manually controled. I have no intentions of going turbo or any thing wilder than those mods mentioned above. I'm new to screwing with the electronics so I thought simpler would be better for me.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
In that case either an SAFC II or MAFT Pro will work fine for you. The main question left is who's going to be tuning it? If it's yourself and you're a quick study, I'd go with the NAFT Pro. If it's going to be tuned by a shop I'd see if any in your area are familiar with the MAFT Pro, if not I'd probably go SAFC II.

The timing control in the MAFT Pro doesn't just change the base timing. It adjusts the timing advance, same with the MSD6. You'll probably find yourself wanting this in the future once you get the fuel dialed in as tight a possibe.