engine stu...stu...stutter

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
91 tubro, 114k miles, bone stock, and it started a random stutter. sometimes it runs great, sometimes it starts this stutter crap. i changed my spark plugs and checked my timing, it was off by 3 degrees. all of this helped it when it isnt stuttering but the stu...stu...stuttering still comes and goes. when it does it it doesnt slow it down much, it still does high way speed. i plan on changing my fuel filter tomorrow. any help would be cool, thanks.:1zhelp:

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
i put in boch platinum, last night i bought ngk iridium.
yes stock boost, 6psi.
it does it at idle, normal driving, and i dont notice it as buch under boost.

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
code 51
Switch Signal
Diagnosis
* No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.
what is "NSW" and "IDL"? and the ac works fine. i dont think that it has anything to do with my problem.

sorry fellas, i just noticed i should have posted this in general dicussion. il do it right next time.

Last edited:

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Your TPS needs adjustment. This definitely could cause the stutter, readjust the TPS using the TSRM and see if the problem goes away.

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
this f$*%ing TPS!!! i cant get the same result twice, plus i think my crappy autozone ohm meter is, well, crap. i put the damn thing back together and im about to go drive it to see if it is worse. on a good note while i had everything apart i put in my new ngk iridium plugs and checked my compression, 170 across the board. i was nervous about that because i just got the car and didnt know what kind of shape the head gasket was in.

Last edited:

marlonvip

Supra -only way to fly
Sep 2, 2006
Denmark
Yeah that is def. Tps related:)
I had the same a while back and I didnt have the right tools to adjust it, so I bougt a hole new TB(with correct adj. Tps) from a guy and put that on there.
It was like a hole new car:)

Marlon

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
does anybody know what a visit to toyota to adjust the tps and possibly a new tps should cost. yesterday i pulled off the tb and messed with it for like 3 hours and im about ready to give up.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
3p141592654 said:
Its a switch so don't worry about the voltage.

(with the TE1 jumpered to ground)

Its easy to test, just sit in the drivers seat with the ign on and the diag jumpered (make sure A/C is off) . Hit the gas, you should see code 51 release the peddle, and the code goes away. Move it untill you dont see code 51 with out pressing the peddal, If it doesn't do that, you need to diagnose the TPS per the TSRM.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&Page=101

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
i dont think the way i did it is the textbook way but i had the TB off of the manifold, both screws loose on the TPS. with my wife in the car watching the check engine light i turned the TPS until the code 51 went off and then went a tiny bit further. i know im gonna get hammered by someone on the site but i couldnt get consistent results using just my crappy ohm meter. i took the TPS off and inspected it and the spring was still strong. i drove it and it ran good but after a hard spool up whenever i let off the gas it flashed a check engine light. whenever i got home it was running better than before but it wasnt totally smooth. i checked for codes and nothing. i checked timing and it was 10. i checked vac and it was between 19.5 and 20.5. im gonna drive it a few days and see what it does. thank everyone for the help.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might want to check your FPR to see if it's holding pressure.

Also, check for voltage drop across the fuel pump relay...if the spring inside is weak, it won't hold a good contact.

The TPS can get a flat spot in it around the 3000 rpm range that will cause some mischief too ;)

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
i called toyota and a new tps is $110. i think i will just bring it in. it runs fine in the morning and once it gets hot it does that crap. then after lunch it ran fine. i checked for codes whenever i got home and got a 51 with the ac on, no codes with it off but it was still running like crap.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Platnium plugs? Change them out to coppers. I've fixxed over 30 cars that had
platnium plugs and stuttered, put in NGK Coppers, and the problem went away.
It's now become the very first thing I change when someone comes to me with
that problem, and 95% of the time, that's it.

Jeff

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
jtamulis said:
Platnium plugs? Change them out to coppers. I've fixxed over 30 cars that had
platnium plugs and stuttered, put in NGK Coppers, and the problem went away.
It's now become the very first thing I change when someone comes to me with
that problem, and 95% of the time, that's it.

Jeff
which part number for the copper ngk's??