engine sounds redline at 3-4k rpm help plz

Malkavia

Aug 16, 2007
orlando
i have a coolant leak and im going to be redoing all the coolant lines and perhaps vacuum as well but when i drove it up to get gas i noticed there is a pretty big coolant leak and the engine sounded like it was redlining at 3-4k rpm i didnt step on it for fear of future problems so i dont know if the power stopped it just got a lot louder then usual also my key in the ignition got practically red hot, think if i fixed the coolant problem these probs should be fixed? ive never had this kind of coolant problem before lol

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
umm...does it start now?

define a "big coolant leak".....how long did you drive without coolant and how high did the temp gauge get.

Malkavia

Aug 16, 2007
orlando
temp gauge only got halfway up which is normal but the guy i bought it from said it overheats after like 20 mins and i only drove it like 1/2 mile with the coolant leaking out, i mean theres still a ton left in the tank but im not driving on it til i determine if its the hoses a BHG or both

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Malkavia said:
temp gauge only got halfway up which is normal but the guy i bought it from said it overheats after like 20 mins and i only drove it like 1/2 mile with the coolant leaking out, i mean theres still a ton left in the tank but im not driving on it til i determine if its the hoses a BHG or both

easily overheats? bhg? fan clutch?

Malkavia

Aug 16, 2007
orlando
im thinkin its a cracked hose because besides the coolant leak and overheating im not seeing any other signs of a BHG but anythings possible with a MKIII the temp gauge has only gone 1/2 way up never higher but i have coolant leaking out so im thinkin i got a busted hose and perhaps the thermostat is messed up ill have to have a friend come over and see because i cant tell i just hope its not a BHG either way ive gota retorque it but if its blown well thats 1-1.5 grand in labor i just dont have

Malkavia

Aug 16, 2007
orlando
yeah i know the key gets hot and i just ran the engine for 20 minutes and i got pressure in the radiator coolant in the top of the radiator coolant leaking out the bottom and i cleaned off the dipstick and put it back in, now i got milky oil so yeah i got a BHG fun fun fun but at least it happened now and not later when im runnin like 13psi lol

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
but still the ignition cylinder has nothing to do with a bhg. im pretty sure there isnt anything back there that gets hot. its pretty bizarre

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
sneakypete said:
but still the ignition cylinder has nothing to do with a bhg. im pretty sure there isnt anything back there that gets hot. its pretty bizarre

maybe its just a hot day :) my keys get hot too when the sun shines in..

Malkavia

Aug 16, 2007
orlando
yeah i know what you mean but a coolant leak, overheating, milky oil, if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck.....

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
Malkavia said:
yeah i know what you mean but a coolant leak, overheating, milky oil, if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck.....

Did you taste it?...

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Taste like spoiled milk :cry: Yeah, working on a budy's car and it's weird, just replaced the headgasket and everything and it still has milky oil.... it's weird :nono:

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
Its going to take quite a few oil and filter changes to get it back right.