engine question

lynnFox

Apr 6, 2010
Frankston
was buying another supra mk3 and need an engine for it because the one currently in it has a busted valve from what I understand. been looking around for machine shops to do a rebuild and also have priced out some used complete engines. think thats the route im going to take. JSA Motors is the site I think would be good. has anyone heard of them and would anyone be kind enough to point me in a good direction if this place isnt any good. please advise, thank you.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
+1^. If you are dead set on getting a new engine, check out jdmtigerjapanese.com. They have both engine/trans. combos and the engines all by themselves. Prices are reasonable in my book but I haven't had any dealings with them so I can't comment further about them as far as warranties, customer service, etc. Good luck with your project and keep us posted! :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
boostcraver;1623384 said:
+1^. If you are dead set on getting a new engine, check out jdmtigerjapanese.com. They have both engine/trans. combos and the engines all by themselves. Prices are reasonable in my book but I haven't had any dealings with them so I can't comment further about them as far as warranties, customer service, etc. Good luck with your project and keep us posted! :)

Many people have had problems with tiger japanese.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
boostcraver;1623384 said:

From first hand experence I had with a 3S-GTE from Tiger Japanese I would recommend staying from away from them.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Your getting a deal on a Supra because of the valve?
Have you heard it run?
A BHG'd Supra sounds crappy too lol
If you get the car, pull the head, replace the head gasket, strip the head of everything but the valve train and let the machine shop replace the bad valve and valve seat if its just a valve.
Thats the fastest cheapest way to get on the road again, if you do most everything yourself.

If you HAVE to have another engine, get one from another member on here in the classifieds.
-You'll know the history better than something shipped from overseas
-Its cheaper
-Its faster
-ALWAYS pull the pan and check bearing health.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
Hey guyz, I know it's a noobish question but does the sound from a leaking ehxaust manifold gasket could be similar to a bad valve?

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
shipkiller;1634245 said:
Hey guyz, I know it's a noobish question but does the sound from a leaking ehxaust manifold gasket could be similar to a bad valve?

Signs of a bad exhaust gasket is excessive heat, loss of power if its turbo, jet white coloring on the exhaust mani from boosted exhaust leaking out or black sooty deposits if no boost.
As for the sounds a bad exhaust gasket makes, it varies from buzzing, brief whooshing, loose spark plug sounding, but in all cases its louder than a bad valve at load.