Engine Paint

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
What sort of engine paint? And do you mean your calipers right? Im sure you can use any type of spray on paint as long as you prep right.

PlatinumTracks

Dec 8, 2008
CA
mk3design;1393696 said:
What sort of engine paint? And do you mean your calipers right? Im sure you can use any type of spray on paint as long as you prep right.

Yeah im talkin bout calipers....

Just your typical autozone engine paint or something....

Just doing this on a long shot could someone shoot me to a forum that tells me how to prep it right.....

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
They have caliper paint at autozone, but if you allready have the paint...

The main thing is getting it clean, you can sandblast or use a wirebrush/wheel on a drill or rotary tool to get it clean.

Then just follow the instructions on the paint can.. Im sure it will say to prime it first, then paint.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
just make sure if you sandblast or wire brush that nothing gets into the brake line hole or the bleeder hole, basically anywhere the brake fluid goes, been there done that,
not fun......

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
PlatinumTracks;1393702 said:
Yeah im talkin bout calipers....

Just your typical autozone engine paint or something....

Just doing this on a long shot could someone shoot me to a forum that tells me how to prep it right.....

Sand them, clean with denatured alcohol, prime them, use lots of light coats of paint. Should come out great. Make sure they're super clean before you spray them. Don't forget to mask everything up. If you can afford it, shoot it with a couple coats of clear.

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
supradad86_5;1393709 said:
just make sure if you sandblast or wire brush that nothing gets into the brake line hole or the bleeder hole, basically anywhere the brake fluid goes, been there done that,
not fun......

I meant that he should also take them off to do it right also

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
mk3design;1393823 said:
I meant that he should also take them off to do it right also
I figured that, I just wanted to make sure he had them plugged or covered somehow, that he knew what you meant......

Last edited:

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
not just "any" spraypaint will work, you need something specifically suited to high temperature metals.

so yes, any engine paint will work in a pinch, i prefer it since it's easier to find and comes in a LOT more colors than caliper paint. generally i degrease, hit it with brake cleaner, then wirebrush, soap, water, tack cloth, dry, prime, and paint.

clear if you want.

OR, do what i did with the 4pots on my LS, powdercoat :p

PlatinumTracks

Dec 8, 2008
CA
Thanks for all the replies everyone....

So i have changed my brake pads before to take the calipers off its just one more bolt right... and i can paint them with them hanging by the brake fluid lines....

i seen some bs youtube vid of someone painting them while everything was still on.....

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
you should get a bungie cord or something to hold the caliper instead of letting it just hang by the lines. if you have stock lines they are usually 20years old and cranking and stretching them can put alot of stress on them and cause them to leak.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
or you could take the caliper right off! Be easier to work on out of the car, and would be a great time to upgrade to braided stainless steel lines. I have a set of Earls hyperfirm for mine sitting here, IIRC i got the complete set for under 100 bucks. I read an article a couple months ago and it said that the rubber brake lines on most cars are only rated for a 3 year life. Im sure they can go longer than that, however, 20ish years is probably quite a stretch. It was in Import tuner IIRC.

PlatinumTracks

Dec 8, 2008
CA
PureDrifter;1393986 said:
if you decide to do lines make sure to put some proper fluid in there too, i'm a fan of the ATE Super (blue/gold) series.

well i dont plan on actully gettin into them untill sat...

but how much would the lines cost t

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
lewis15498;1393947 said:
or you could take the caliper right off! Be easier to work on out of the car, and would be a great time to upgrade to braided stainless steel lines. I have a set of Earls hyperfirm for mine sitting here, IIRC i got the complete set for under 100 bucks. I read an article a couple months ago and it said that the rubber brake lines on most cars are only rated for a 3 year life. Im sure they can go longer than that, however, 20ish years is probably quite a stretch. It was in Import tuner IIRC.

What told you that?

But i'll agree since rubber degrades.

PlatinumTracks

Dec 8, 2008
CA
here is how they came out.... if you were wondering....

p1401946_1.jpg

streetracer_258

Powertrain Engineer
Sep 1, 2009
Nottingham
Came out nice, personaly i would have painted the part on the discs black if at all. I used VHT exhuast/ caliper paint an it doesn't look as good. Probably will go over with engine lacquer.