Engine dies/died

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
My 1jz recently started dying randomly when coming to a stop, clutch in just idling. Then it got worse...it died at an intersection right by my house. all electronics stopped working, didnt even have hazards. i got it to fire up again and got it home and now it will not do anything. The boost controller and radio turn on when I turn the key to just aux. power, then only the dash lights come on when I turn it all the way. The car doesnt turn over or even try to start though.

I am thinking of putting a new battery in to rule that out but my brother-in-law thinks it is the ECU. Think some of the caps went bad? I know driftmotion repairs 1j ECU's so that is an option.

Also, if I end up having to replace the ECU is there any direction I should go? I am on a budget but it would be nice to have a standalone...

Thanks for any help/advice you may have.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
If your engine cant even turn over, then the problem is NOT your ECU...
To me it sounds like your battery is shot, would give a new battery a try... and double check that the alternator is actually working.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Well at least a battery is cheaper than an ECU...funny, the batteries in my Duramax just died too...3 of them will be a cheap trip!
Napa can test alternators right?

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
525gte;1890959 said:
try to charge it 1st before you buy a new one.. your alternator may have stopped charging

I put it on the charger last night, I am about to try to turn it over...

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Maby something to do with the circuit open relay or the OEM alarm? I know both of them can cut power to to much of the car. My supras wiring is very modified so I can't help as much as some others on hear but just thought I would through out some ideas.

Vintage91

Oct 28, 2012
Calgary SW
Sounds like the typical alternator having a fit. My 1J did had the identical symptoms last year while it was in my Soarer, and knew it was the alternator. Had it rebuilt/upgraded locally. I believe the rectifier bridge was shot. Good luck!

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I think that I have it narrowed down to the alternator just like you guys are suspecting. Battery with a charge worked fine, ran awesome, but it also looked like the system is not recharging the batter now that it is in. Looks like I am off to order a GS300 alternator when I get a chance, I just read through the parts swap thread and that sounded like the best option.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Something I ran into recently, my harness to battery connection was down to TWO strands of the wire. Was enough to run the radio, lights, what have you, but would not start the car like that. Worth taking a look into to eliminate that idea, as well as making sure your battery is secure. ;)