Energy Suspension poly bushes - who's used them?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I have a little problem...

I bought a set of energy suspension polyurethane bushes for the front from Driftmotion (this is the black type, not the red) and dropped the front upper and lower arms off to a suspension place along with the bushes (un-opened, still in sealed bag) and got a call from them today saying that "one of the bushes does not fit and there must have been some wrong-boxing issue".

I havent had a chance to go down to the shop yet to see what the heck is going on but I find it hard to believe that an odd bushing made its way into the sealed bag.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this with the Energy kit before? Or does anyone know as to why the suspension place may think this is the case (those who have played around with these bushes of course)?

As I said, i havent had a chance to go down there and see what they're talking about but im skeptical and am just posting this for a heads up to see if anyone can help out with the very little info ive provided.

Thanks!

ganesht

Pupil
Jan 30, 2010
sd,CA
ive used their motor mounts, and the mount inserts, both times their products were a bit on the large size. i was able to install the mounts with lots of lubrication, but the inserts i had to shave of a little bit of material to get to fit. Other people ive spoken to about their products seem to love them, it could have been something wrong with my car??

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
yeah i know for a fact that the bushes are larger than the space in the lower control arms but part of the inside of the arm needs to be punched out to make the extra space. but from what i gather here, just one out of all of the bushes is completely different to the rest of them, and they've come to the conclusion that its not meant for my car...

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
just installed all the energy bushings - front and rear sets from zonkoku on my car and had no problems, getting all the metal sleeves pressed out was a real pain though, but none were mismatched, perhaps they installed a bushing in the wrong place?? the rear set was a little confusing because a few of the bushings were the same diameter but different lengths

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Installed front and rear energy suspension bushings last month with no issue's. Can't wait to feel how these ride.

patrickB

Jan 11, 2010
---
do i need to reuse the inner metal part of the old bushes when i install the energy poly bushes?
i'm asking because sometimes they notice that the inner metal sleeve should stay in and should be reused with the poly bushings.

MX73MKIII

Oct 6, 2009
Queens, New York
Energy Suspension products are great. I installed many bushing and engine mounts on several makes and models besides the Supra. I never had an issue with them. Probably they never installed or just scared of doing it. Meet a few people like that.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hahahaha, i thought i was the only one with an energy susp quality issue. i got a full set of black front/rear control arm bushings from driftmotion and was not impressed with energy's packing proficiency. on the fronts i was shorted two each on the lower arm, and on the rears i was given eight of one size instead of four in two sizes (forget where they were located). all of these bags were properly sealed.

however, i got the part numbers and called energy, and they had them shipped to me in two days, no questions asked. can't complain when they make it right :D good luck on yours.

and no, i did not have to reuse the inner sleeve of the original bushings (the kit should come with new cadmium-plated pieces)

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
patrickB;1505344 said:
do i need to reuse the inner metal part of the old bushes when i install the energy poly bushes?
i'm asking because sometimes they notice that the inner metal sleeve should stay in and should be reused with the poly bushings.

None of the old parts you take out are reusable.

The old outer sleeves for some of the control arms need to be REMOVED. If your bushings seem to be too big, you didn't notice the sleeves.

Inner sleeves are supplied.

No problems with my install thus far, the car rides absolutely great, less noise too. I have a couple left to do though, waiting for the weather to change from arctic chill to mildly workable.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks for the replies guys!

I've spokent to the suspension place and it looks like Energy have mis-packaged my bushes. 7 of the 8 lower control arm bushes are identical and one is 10mm larger in diameter than the lower control arm bush housing. So one of my lower control arms is without a bushing...

The issue at hand is that I'm located in Australia, I can just call up energy and give them a part number. I'm not even sure they have dealings with Australia since they are obviously American based. I have contacted Driftmotion about the issue and am waiting to hear back from them but I have a feeling they will refer me onto Energy anyway since it was there mess up.

Does anyone have their contacts? I guess I can google :p

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
quick q, lower control arm bushes. one half has a thicker exposed piece then the other. which goes toward the front? instructions say which part no, but no way of identifying them!

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

fk, forget it just found the serials. doh

SPOOLMK3

Creeper
Mar 21, 2012
tacoma
ReQuieM;1690741 said:
quick q, lower control arm bushes. one half has a thicker exposed piece then the other. which goes toward the front? instructions say which part no, but no way of identifying them!

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

fk, forget it just found the serials. doh

Did it seemike your lower a arm moved? I installed per directions but it seems like the inner and outer should be switched. It moved my a arm forward. I am sure there installed correctly to the diagram/instructions