Endurance Race in 2 weeks - Motor Won't Stay Running!

dahughes

Dec 4, 2012
Nebraska
OK, I have to preface this question/discussion with some background; we purchased an ’88 supra/ 7mgte about a year ago as a budget racer with the intent of running chump car or lemons series road races. The previous owner had already done the lion share of the work… (car had been stripped down to basically no interior and the required safety equipment) and had completed at least one 8 hour endurance race on the engine. Prior to our first race in the fall of 2012, wouldn’t you know it but we blew a head gasket during some track testing. (Weird, I know) What was surprising, was that during the repair project, we discovered that the previous owner had actually done it right. ARP bolts were found on both the top and bottom ends of the engine. We successfully completed the necessary repairs and ran a respectable race last fall with no issues. Over the winter, after some lengthy and painstaking diagnosis, we discovered that the lower timing cover plate was leaking. Much to our chagrin, we realized that we were going to have to pull the motor.
Which, leads me to where we are today. After countless hours, we cannot seem to get the girl running again. She cranks and tries to start, only to cut off and die after a few (2-5) seconds. We reset the timing per the instructions both in the service manual as well as after reading countless posts on the forum, and I’m 99.9% sure it’s right. (Even tried rotating it 180, despite some conflicting reports as to whether or not that is even possible to get it off 180). The challenge we have is limited technical resources to check things such as codes or other electrical issues. The challenge with this car has always been not knowing what exactly all the stock configuration should look like since we didn’t handle the transformation into the ‘race car’ setup. By that, I mean there have always been countless wiring harnesses just laying around under the hood. She purred like a kitten before pulling the motor, but obviously didn’t like something we did to her while repairing the coolant leak.
Any suggestions? I’m sure I’m leaving some out, so ask away. We’d sure like to get her back on the track.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's a crap load of text without saying much about basic troubleshooting. Spark? Fuel? Will it run if primed? Assuming a stock ECU codes are easy to check even if the diag box is missing. Still sounds like valve and/or ignition timing though. As for what the stock configuration looks like, it's plainly shown in the manuals.

dahughes

Dec 4, 2012
Nebraska
As mentioned above, the car will start and run briefly so I would say yes to spark and fuel. When we pinch the fuel return line the pressure spikes to about 65+ psi. Yes its a stock ECU but we don't have a scanner to check codes.

Not exactly sure how to prime a fuel injected motor. Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
yeah that things a must if you have a 7M. but goodluck, I'd like to do racing like that but you need everything perfect on your car just to keep it cool enough to run it for that long.

dahughes

Dec 4, 2012
Nebraska
Thanks for the feedback guys! The only problem I see with checking codes that way......becuase the interior is stripped out and the dash consists of 4 or 5 racing guages we no longer have check engine light to reference. I think we are to the point of taking it into a mechanic that works on turbo motors and see what he can figure out.

And yes the race was an absolute blast! While the car is far from perfect she did make it 8 hours with no breakdowns. Average speed on our 2.15 mile course with 13 turns was pushing 65+ mph. Looking forward to doing it again.