emulated wideband to stock ecu

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
ive got my innovate lc-1 hooked up to send as emulated signal to the stock ecu to keep it happy. its working fine. the only thing i havent done is get rid of the check engine lite (code 21) for no sensed resistance on the heater wires. tsrm says spec is 3.0 to 3.6 ohms.

if i take a 1/2 watt 3.3 ohm resistor and use it across those wires, will anything burn up? im not sure 100%, but by my calculations (ohm's law) it would be around 4-5 amps with 14.5 volts and 3.3 ohms resistance. is that how much current the stock o2 sensor's heater pulls?

edit: holy hell, i pushed an extra button. the amperage would be 4 to 5 amps... lol

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Depends on it's location...near the flame front (in the stock bung), will reduce it's life.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yeah, I would, but I'll help you out.

First, current flow through a sensor falls as the sensor warms up. In the original stock sensor it settles to around 1.5 amps @14.5 volts. The behavior is normal for any resistance based heater. If you have a modern replacement sensor with a smaller heater, one designed for a different vehicle, or a universal (all of which "work" but none of which are recommended for technical reasons I won't go into) it'll likely be less.

Second, even if your math was right you're not calculating for power. Try here:

http://tinyurl.com/j6ocf

Then try here:

http://tinyurl.com/yqxyho

You might be able to get away with a 25 watt wirewound package if you can find one close to the same resistance. They're on that site too. Bottom line is you only need 1-2 amps to keep the ECU happy.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Oops, missed this earlier.

25 watt wirewound @ 4 ohms will work, I recommend the second link jet posted though as a probably better alternative.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
so im making the conclusion that the ecu only needs to see some resistance... the actual amount isnt very important, it just cant be and open or closed circuit....

thanks very much you guys! hopefully ill get it figured out. also, on a side note, i thought that my car was running very sluggish due to being in limp mode due to the o2 code, however i found today that my cam timing is 1 tooth off on each cam. guess i shouldnt have rushed so much putting it all back together :)

thanks again for that link, that seems to be just what i was looking for! i did also find on the innovate wideband forums that some users are using an 18 watt brake light bulb to simulate the resistance, however i like the resistor in the second link better. wonder if i can find one in town... :)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Pay close attention to the technical documentation, or no matter what you get you'll burn it up.

I ran with no sensor hooked up (narrowband simulated, like you) for a while and I noticed no change at all in performance or fuel economy.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
also be careful what the resistors pulls. i tried to similate this heater with some radio shack resistors and must not have guessed correctly. about a year later the heater drivers or whatever they are called burned up in the ecu so the code 21 never went away even with a good oem O2 sensor till i replaced the ecu.