Electronics Question

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
I'm new here and not really sure if this is the place to post this or not, so sorry if it isn't.

I just bought my mk3 a few days ago. The power windows, power locks, gauge lights, and interior lights don't work. I'm assuming they're all related but I don't really know.

I've checked all my fuses, and while I found a headlight fuse that was blown, I didn't find any others that were blown. I did, however notice that some of the fuses are really old and the labels have rubbed off so I don't know if they're the correct fuses.

I checked for codes but didn't have any.

I've looked at the MK3 TEWD on-line thing, but I didn't see anything that said it was specifically for those systems.

My question is what could it be? I'm dunno if the fuses could be too old to conduct or if maybe they're the wrong sizes. I was also wondering if it could be that there's a relay that might need to be replaced, and if so where is it and how big of a PITA is it too replace, haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
Well the power windows run off of the 7.5 amp gauge fuse and a 30 amp circuit breaker. The power locks works off of the 30 amp circuit breaker. The interior lights work off of a 7.5 dome fuse. And the gauge lights work off of the 15 amp taillight fuse. It could be a combination of things, one could be the 30 amp circuit breaker( which is by the fuse panel inside) and then you could have another problem somewhere else( like a fuse). Are your tail lights working? Are any other interior working when the tail lights are on meaning the heater controls or any switch lighting, glove box light? It could be a ground issue but it doesn't really add up, yes everything is grounded at the same point but other things wouldn't be working as well. Like your wipers, blower motor speed control relay, cruise control. If all of these aren't working correctly then check the bolt that holds the bottom of your fuse panel(driver side kick panel) to the body, there is a little tab that sticks out, this is your grounding point for almost all of these systems. If I'm not mistaken there are some wires that actually ground at that point too using a lug connector. Other than that you should start checking out connectors around the fuse panel. Hope this helps some good luck.

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
I'm pretty sure my tail lights all work, but I'll check again. I know my wipers work, the little lights under the buttons on the climate control light up, as does the temp display but the climate control itself doesn't light up. And I can't remember if the glove box light works. But it seems like some are hit or miss so I don't know if it would be the ground. I'm going to check everything you said tomorrow morning though. It's gettin kinda late to be toolin around in the garage. I'll report back with what I find.

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
Also, I forgot to add, my power seats dont work either. Hoping thats related, don't want to have to replace one of those yet. Does anyone know what fuse/fuses/circuit breaker that runs off?

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
power seats are grounded in the left kick panel also along with your flasher relay. Are your blinkers working or your flashers/hazards? The seats also work off of the 30 amp circuit breaker, this is looking to be the culprit. I would check that ground first, (the bottom bolt hole of number 1 on the page I linked) just make sure there is a bolt in it and it is actually attached to the body and that there aren't any loose wires(meaning wires with a lug at the end) dangling down there.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=13

and then check the 30 amp circuit breaker(number14 on block 5 same page), you could probably just pull it and check continuity between the two poles if you have a voltmeter. If you don't I would seriously consider getting one, the come in handy a lot with this car.
Hopefully one of these is the problem, good luck.

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
Ok, so i reset the CB. I get power seats occasionally. Still no locks, windows, or interior lights, but at least now I'm not struggling to hit the clutch pedal.

I know the windows could be the driver side switches. I read somewhere that the passenger side is wired through the driver or something like that. And maybe thats the lock issue too? I don't know, but I'm going to try that.

I replaced almost all the fuses with new ones. All I had were the glo-brite ones (they light up when they blow), can those cause any issues?

Now after I did all that, my deck turns on an off all the time, and the head lights flicker with the deck. I know the deck isn't wired well at all so i'm going to redo the whole thing. My next question is could the head light and deck issue be anything else? I didn't really mess with any wires but i did have to move the deck.

Sorry if any of the questions are noobish, I'm not that good with car electronics. I can wire a system and change a fuse but past that I don't know too much.

Thanks for all the help and info so far.

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
So I had to come back and post this. I did the lamp failure box removal and now I get my power windows locks and seat. Haha. No idea what that means but it works for me.